The Down-Trodden Rural Poor of Thailand

BaronTT

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, but what does that education get them? Look at all the bar girls supposedly going to University...what does the education level of the average Thai high school or even uni equal in western terms?

Well they learn a bit of English which helps find a farang husband. Then the bright ones go on to major in Advanced Bingo.

This struck me as a classic case of "using statistics to prove your thesis",

Of course it's always better to just go ahead and shuck and jive to make your case. Do it David Lettermanesque and toss out clever lines. I mean hell, the author of the article even went out of his way to instruct the reader to interpret the use of statistics with a 'healthy sense of skepticism,' what an ass he is eh?

And he also states that the poorest of both countries in comparison had fallen through the cracks and that wasn't his subject.

You seem to come in and condemn any article critical of the redshirts, and pretty it up with clever language -- but I can't see that your undermining of the piece is legit. Also, you do favor the redshirts, why not just own it instead of painting yourself as neutral? A little disingenuous (and dishonest).

And btw - please show me the claim in the article that states that anyone is paid fairly? I don't think you're getting it. And talk about use of innuendo. Sheeeeeesh.

This struck me as a classic case of "using statistics to prove your thesis"' date=' [/quote']

Of course it's always better to just go ahead and shuck and jive to make your case. Do it David Lettermanesque and toss out clever lines. I mean hell, the author of the article even went out of his way to instruct the reader to interpret the use of statistics with a 'healthy sense of skepticism,' what an ass he is eh?

And he also states that the poorest of both countries in comparison had fallen through the cracks and that wasn't his subject.

You seem to come in and condemn any article critical of the redshirts, and pretty it up with clever language -- but I can't see that your undermining of the piece is legit. Also, you do favor the redshirts, why not just own it instead of painting yourself as neutral? A little disingenuous (and dishonest).

And btw - please show me the claim in the article that states that anyone is paid fairly? I don't think you're getting it. And talk about use of innuendo. Sheeeeeesh.

I am far from claiming the red shirts are "the good side". i think they really screwed up their protests by invading the hospital, burning buildings, using ANY violence, etc. While I condemned the yellows for taking over the airport, at least they had the sense not to trash the place when they left. I also think Thaksin is/was/will be corrupt. But lets face it ... pretty much ALL thai politicos are corrupt, so nothing new there.

I do, however, think that the rural and working poor have a legitimate argument that thai society goes out of its way to "keep em down on the farm". They have done it via a crappy education system, an economic model that favors price fixing by middlemen and commodity cartels, a corrupt political process, and a certain institution that shall not be discussed on this board.

The reason why I am responding to the anti-red articles is they seem to be the most prominent on the board, and certain members are taking extreme and, I think, unfounded positions.

I also think we all need a waffle.

Archived