Very Interesting and, IMHO, Balanced Article on Thailand

Gadfly

No no, you don't understand, you don't live in Thailand, and as "a two week resident" you don't understand...or some such shit...The expats have it right, you don't...oh wait, you live there too...oh what a problem...how ever shall we decide...?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't aimed at OH, but I have gotten sick of debating this on this site. Too much disinformation and BS.

I don't like Thaksin, think he is a sham and fraud, but strongly suspect that if elections were called in the next few months his parties or successor parties would win hands down. That is the real fear. Why else would the yellow shirts and others supporting the current government push so hard for a Parliament that is 2/3 appointed? Why else are is the current coalition delaying elections. Why has the emergency decree that assists them in suppressing the opposition been delayed. Why the rash unexplained 'deaths' of reds in back country Thailand?

That is the ugly truth here. Farangs sympathizers with the current government can BS all they want about bought votes and how the current government is legitimate just like a coalition government in the UK, but does anyone seriously believe that crap? After all that has happened, a real government, a confident government, would be planning for elections before year's end. We're not seeing that and we're not going to see that.

Is there really any need to say anything beyond this? Why is the current government and its supporters scared to death of holding elections? :dunno:

I do not think, they are scared at all.

The Thai vote, is either for Thaksin, or against him. Last time, they got 37% of the vote, I expect the next time, it will be less.

Right now, they have a job to finish. I want to see the guilty pay, for all these injuries and deaths. Put alot of the terrorist trouble makers in jail, for long time, and penalize their supports, finacially, is the best road to real democracy.

Make no mistake about it, democracy, is not the current goal of the Reds.

The Thai vote, is either for Thaksin, or against him. Last time, they got 37% of the vote, I expect the next time, it will be less.

OK, then it's simple hold elections.

Stop mucking around with emergency decrees, proposals where you appoint 2/3 of the Parliment, labelling your opponents terrorists, closing down media outlets you don't like, blocking websites that report what stuff you don't like. All of this makes it look the government is scared; real scared. We can argue all we want, but there is only real test - elections.

You may be right in your predictions, but we'll never know until elections are held. If you are right, you'd think the government be more than happy to do it. Elections now.

But they don't. The find excuse after excuse to extend emegency decrees, arrests their oppenents, close websites, close press outlets and delay the very elections you contend they would win. Let's put this to the real test, and let's do it ASAP.

http://www.patriots.com/alumni/index.cfm?ac=alumnibiosdetail&bio=11399

Stop mucking around with emergency decrees, proposals where you appoint 2/3 of the Parliment, labelling your opponents terrorists, closing down media outlets you don't like, blocking websites that report what stuff you don't like. All of this makes it look the government is scared; real scared. We can argue all we want, but there is only real test - elections.

This Government is as legit as the last one, and other coalitions in the world. Emergency decree, is for the safety of the people. USA, is a democracy (yup, I know really a republic), in the states, you can not broadcast the overthrow of the government either. You only get a broadcast license, if you serve the people, in a balanced way.

You may be right in your predictions, but we'll never know until elections are held. If you are right, you'd think the government be more than happy to do it. Elections now.

Its time, to work towards a REAL DEMOCRACY, the days of Thaksin running the show, is over.

ALL THE REDS ARE ABOUT, is THAKSIN, and his desire for "MUCH HIGHER STATION IN LIFE". Thaksins ultimate goal, is not a democracy, believe it.

I had to wait 7 years, for BUSH to go, and now, I lost the faith with Obama, already to see him out, in a democracy, sometimes you gotta wait, you do not get your way always, also you do not give in to Terrorism.

But they don't. The find excuse after excuse to extend emegency decrees, arrests their oppenents, close websites, close press outlets and delay the very elections you contend they would win. Let's put this to the real test, and let's do it ASAP.

The time will be right, for a real election, but that time is not now.

FIRST, the business of prosecuting TERRORISM, is the best thing this government can do, to insure a brigter future for the country. Until, that is finished, a true democracy, or close to it is not possible.

The 2008 PAD proposal to have 70% of the Senate appointed (not the house of representatives) went nowhere (as it should have) and is not even endorsed by the New Politics Party. It was a trial balloon as a potential solution to break up the power the rural factions that has since been withdrawn. Give it a rest.

The elections are scheduled for December 2011, anything before that is early, so explain what you mean about delayed elections? The government offered twice to hold elections before this year was up, refused both times.

The last time the offer was rejected because Suthep turned himself in to the DSI, where the charges against had been filed, rather then the police where there were no charges. The UDD did not really want elections, they wanted exactly what happened. They got a bunch of people killed, including a number of soldiers.

If you look at the current makeup of the house, you can see that the PPP is steadaly losing seats. There are rumors that some 20 or more MP's from a north eastern faction are considering joining the BJP making it even more unlikely the PPP will be able to even form a coailition after the next election.

But, waiting for several months, probably early next year is smart politics on the part of the coalition. They are betting that the economy will continue to improve and their programs to reach out to voters will have time to take effect. That is the reason the UDD wants them now, they know the longer it is before they happen, the more likely they will do poorly.

Here's what a PTP campiagn poster might look like:

med_1278989156-PTP_poster1.JPG

I do agree that the emergency decree should be withdrawn soon and I think it will, but in the meantime, how many people does it actually impact? Seems to me, it only impacts people that are trying to stir up trouble.

In what country can a television or radio station openly broadcast calls for violence such as what PTV and the so-called “community†radio stations did almost constantly? Here some examples in case you missed them.

F2vRhaHRzuo&feature=related

sR7OuU18e9E

So show me a clip of a PAD leader saying burn down Bangkok or prompting any other violence. All I ever saw was calls for sit down type protests aimed at middle class little old ladies. Maybe I missed something, but if you are going to compare, do it accurately.

I do agree the ASTV got very inflammatory at times, but you have to agree they kept it to just some really, really nasty name calling. Is that the same as "bring your bottles, we will supply the petrol" for you?

PTV was aimed at the loser young adult males that are so prevalent upcountry and made up a large number of the UDD people that came to Bangkok. The Red Guards did a good job of controlling them until they were ordered to let them loose.

TH

Archived