iPad - no better than an iPhone

cagedsoidog

Little Piggy - long time no see!

Thanks - and now realize that finding the apps is part of the fun.

Went through about 20 of the "Top Lists for Free Apps for Ipad" and have a huge list to start with:

Reuters News Pro

Zinio

Wikipanion

NPR for iPad

ABC Player

Kindle

Pandora Radio

Dropbox

Atomic lite

Dictionary.com

Plane Free HD

Google Mobile

Adobe Ideas for iPad

Guardian Eyewitness

Frame Channel

Flickr

iBooks

Yahoo Entertainment

Draw

iPDF Reader

BBC News

USA Today

AP

StumbleUpon

GoSkyWatch Planeterium

Evernote

Google Earth

Truphone

textPlus

Dailymotion for iPad

NASA App HD

Radio.com

Things

MightyMeeting

GoToMeeting

World Book – This Day In History

ZumoCast

AppShopper

Hulu Plus

Night Stand HD Lite - The Best Alarm

Alarm Clock HD Free

Compass for iPad (Free)

Box

PaperDesk lite for Ipad

Should keep me busy for a while!

Cheers!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Main App I use being away from home is Skype, inexpensive way to keep in touch with the wife since we also loaded it onto her iPhone.

Google Maps is a godsend when in a new city, search for the place you want to go to and bookmark it, show it to the Taxi Driver and he types the address into his GPS unit, one improvement would be if iPhone / Google Maps could send bookmark to a GPS Unit via Bluetooth.

Also most free apps are "area specific" and a very popular one here in Madrid is the interactive Metro Guide, just type in present location and destination and it not only comes up withe the best route, it also pauses the iPod function and tells you where to change trains / which platform to go to, if present location is not known the app will use GPS and tell you where nearest station is and how to get there. Saved me a lot of hassle and because I am not walking around with a paper Metro Map I don't stand out as much as a visitor to the city thereby reducing the risk of being a victim of casual crime.

What I want to know is, best way to connect to the internet when I'm overseas when WI-FI isn't available? :dunno:

Many apps (such as using Google Maps when I'm out-and-about in a strange city) will need 3G / GPRS, which is fast enough for most apps.

But I'm not going to use my home SIM on roaming as the data roaming charges are just ridiculous!

When I come to LOS next week and buy a SIM, does the SIM include data roaming? eg. If I buy a 300 baht 1-2-Call card for example, does it include any data for downloading emails when I'm in my hotel room / on the BTS etc? And if so, how much are the charges? Or do I need to buy a data top-up card or something?

Thanks if anyone can shed some light.

Piggy

Not too sure but it wont be too much, I get unlimited 3G+Wifi on my post-paid SIM. 3G coverage will probably be good enough for most of Bangkok you are likely to go to, I started to pick it up 45KM North of downtown about 5 weeks ago and the wife says no problems at her office in Thonburi.

The iPad is nice to have on a plane (I delivered one from the US for a BKK friend in May)...really fucking LONG battery life. Nice big screen.

Won't get one myself until they join the 21st Century as far as languages go (Thai, etc.). Once they get that together it's a nice alternative to bringing one's laptop halfway across the world.

True WiFi + 3g

899 postpaid per month

The micro sim cost THB 49.

I believe the 3g is limited to 5 gbytes per month.

The WiFi is unlimited (using True Hot Spots) - and they hard code your MAC into their system so you don't have any issue to log into their True Hot Spots.

You get a phone number - but when in the Ipad you cannot call or send SMS to this number.

The device auto changed from WiFi to 3G when I disabled the WiFi. And back to WiFi when I enabled.

Will test if it changes from 3G to Edge/GPRS over the next weeks.

Archived