USA Passport & relates fees skyrocket

rookie

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll be OK. I'm getting a certified secure microchip implant from Intel (comes with a GPS option). :wink:

This is done with dogs and cats.

Human trials are upcoming.

Problems may arise at airport scanners.

I'll be OK. I'm getting a certified secure microchip implant from Intel (comes with a GPS option). :wink:

This is done with dogs and cats.

Human trials are upcoming.

Problems may arise at airport scanners.

Maybe not. By the time they come into use we will have been completely conditioned. Passengers with implants will get priority seating.

Although my passport expires at the end of July 2010, I renewed it in May 2010 for $75 in USA

I lost 2 months (new passport is effective June 2010 while the old passport expires July 31st) but the new passport is good for 10 years!

The new passport also has an embedded microchip containing your personal data. It has been reported that your microchip data can be stolen by unauthorized individuals if they posssess the right equipment and are standing nearby.

I applied earlier because I didn't want to be delayed knowing there is a higher passport applications submitted during the summer months as people take their vacations.

I am also glad I applied earlier and saved $35 or 47%. Now, I have to be on guard for people who might want to steal my id.

Several countries require the passport to be valid for at least 6 months! Thailand is one such country.

US Passport required for US citizens valid for at least 6 months upon arrival. Visa required, except for touristic stay of max. 30 days.

Now, I have to be on guard for people who might want to steal my id.

How To: Disable Your Passport's RFID Chip :hubba:

All passports issued by the US State Department after January 1 will have always-on radio frequency identification chips, making it easy for officials – and hackers – to grab your personal stats. Getting paranoid about strangers slurping up your identity? Here’s what you can do about it. But be careful – tampering with a passport is punishable by 25 years in prison. Not to mention the “special†customs search, with rubber gloves. Bon voyage!

1) RFID-tagged passports have a distinctive logo on the front cover; the chip is embedded in the back.

2) Sorry, “accidentally†leaving your passport in the jeans you just put in the washer won’t work. You’re more likely to ruin the passport itself than the chip.

3) Forget about nuking it in the microwave – the chip could burst into flames, leaving telltale scorch marks. Besides, have you ever smelled burnt passport?

4) The best approach? Hammer time. Hitting the chip with a blunt, hard object should disable it. A nonworking RFID doesn’t invalidate the passport, so you can still use it.

Wired

OR

RFID blocking passport case

I just found this out yesterday, though it was initially announced on June 28th.

New USA Consular Fees in Effect on July 13, 2010. So, tomorrow morning, I'm taking the bus to BKK and visit the Embassy to get additional PPort pages, rather than pay $82 for extra pages which were once free!

Passport Book Renewal - was $75...now: $110.00

Additional passport visa pages - was _free_...now: $82.00 !!!

...So now it's going to cost more to get extra passport pages than it previously did to get a whole new passport? Go figure!!

Read more fee increases here: http://travel.state.gov/news/news_5078.html

I just looked it up and the additional pages are still free and the fees for other services are not, as you've quoted, but much lower.

To: Bangkok ACS

Sent: Thu Jul 08 18:10:36 2010

Subject: Fee Changes - American Citizen Services and Immigrant Visas - Effective July 13, 2010

New consular fees will take effect July 13, 2010 at all U.S. embassies and consulates worldwide, including the US Embassy in Bangkok and the Consulate in Chiang Mai. The fee changes include higher fees for U.S. passports, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, and notarial services, as well as a new fee for adding additional pages to a U.S. passport. More information can be found at http://travel.state.gov/news/news_5078.html and on the Embassy website at http://bangkok.usembassy.gov.

The following is a partial list of services and the fee changes:

The application processing fee for adult passport applications will change from $55 to $70.

The passport book security surcharge will change from $20 to $40.

The application fee for passport cards will increase, from $20 to $30 for adults, and from $10 to $15 for minors.

A new fee of $82 for additional passport pages will be imposed.

The fee for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad will change from $65 to $100.

Notarial and authentication services, which now range from $20 to $30, will all be $50.

The immigrant visa (IV) application fee - which must be collected from all IV applicants who are not fee-exempt – will now be tiered. The new fees will be $330 for immediate relative and family preference cases (processed on the basis of an I-130, I-600 or I-800 petition), $720 for employment-based cases (processed on the basis of an I-140 petition), and $305 for other cases (special IVs, Diversity Visas (DVs),

self-petitioned cases, and all other IVs).

The IV security surcharge - which must be collected from all IV applicants who are not fee-exempt - will increase from $45 to $74.

The DV fee (which is charged in addition to the application processing fee and security surcharge) will change from $375to $440.

The American Citizen Services section of the U.S. Embassy Bangkok is located at 95 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand. The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049 and by e-mail at acsbkk@state.gov. The emergency after-hours telephone number is 66-2-205-4000.

The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai is located at 387 Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107-777 and by e-mail at acschn@state.gov. The after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-81-881-1878.

This email is UNCLASSIFIED

Archived