All Gave Some. Some Gave All.

unit731

My father was 26 when he enlisted in 1943. His cousin was drafted in 1945 at 34 and with 2 children. As the war went on, all sorts of folks got dragged in. I had a friend from Berlin whose 42 year old father got conscripted, even though he wore thick glasses and walked with a limp. He froze to death in Russia - in the infantry.

When I lived in Santa Maria, Calif., my mother was shocked to find that so few of the local men had gone to war. It had been a farming area - and farmers were exempt. :dunno:

Was suprised there were only 66% of conscripts among the WW2 US veterans.

-> Flashermac: I would have expected the number to be closer to 80%...given the fact US armed forces prior to the late US entry in the war and the very small size of its armed forces prior to 1941.

(small size especially compared to its size in 1945)

Link

During the WWII-era draft (November 1940-October 1946), 10,110,104 men were called to the colors. That number amounted to 63% of all the Americans who wore a uniform in WWII. Of those who served in the Army, 93% were draftees. Among Navy ranks, including the Marine Corps and Coast Guard, were 1,730,194 draftees. In 1945 alone, for example, nearly 16,000 Marines were drafted.

Beginning in 1943, voluntary enlistments, except for men under the age of 18 and over 38, were ended so the manpower needs of the Army ground forces and other service branches could be fulfilled. The seafaring services received draftees from 1943 through 1945. All told, 36% of naval personnel were draftees.

Archived