Renewing 5-yr driving licenses

rookie

Yesterday, I went to the Banglamung (Pattaya) Land & Transportation office. I need to get next years registration on one of my motorcycles as well as renew both of my 5-yr driver's licenses.

With all the needed documents in hand, I arrived at the vehicle inspection station at 8:45am. 20-minutes later I was in the L&T office. Got the new reg sticker for the bike and went through the formalities for renewing both driving licenses.

I left the L&T office just before 11am. Just barely 2-hours total.

Eat your hearts out with envy BKK'ers! :neener:

I renewed my Dubai driving license (they last for 10 years) at the begiining of July. It had actually expired in August 2009 so I had effectively been driving for 10 months with no license! It took about 15-20 minutes to complete the process.

Hopefully I won't still be here in 2020 so I won't have to renew it again!

2nd June I renewed my 5 year Licence in Surin...in 16 minutes. AMAZING Thailand....indeed

That is truly amazing. Yet, the 6-hour drive for me to get to Surin kinda overcomes the time savings, as well as your post of Surin's outrageous BF's is further inhibiting! ;)

When I need anything like a driver's license taken care of, I just call one of the 27 police or Army Generals I know, and they get on it right away. SOmetimes I just call my father in law the Doctor or my uncle in law the "Government guy" and he takes care of it. Driver's license? Speeding ticket? Whatever, they jump when I call...

Pardon the rant ...

Went to renew my license in Virginia, USA. I had unfortunately let my combo car/motorcycle license expire.

After about 1.5 hours wait, I was seen by a processor.

"We need proof of Virginia residence, sir".

"No problem, here's my old Virginia license".

"Unacceptable"!!

I had to go back to my house, which I rent out, and get a copy of a utility bill in my name. Now too late to go back, as the office would be closed.

Return the next day, see processor after about 1.5 hour wait. Documents OK. I had to take a new permit test. Failed. Can't retake the same day. Had to return the next day.

Next day, about an hour to retake the test. Passed. 2 hour wait for a new roadtest. Passed.

No motorbike = no test = no more motorcycle license. :(

Wait about 30 minutes more for license. Get a piece of paper saying they will mail it within 2 weeks.

"To Thailand?, I ask.

"Of course not", they reply.

Why can't I get it right now?

"SECURITY". WHAT THE *&(%*$$%&&**&*??!!

So, it is more secure to mail it to my address 2 weeks later than to HAND IT TO THE GUY STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU WHO JUST GOT OUT OF THE CAR WITH THE TESTING OFFICER THAT IS STANDING NEXT TO YOU!

Unfuckingbelievable.

Sometimes, I hate America.

I had quite the opposite happen. Moved from Hawaii back to Wisconsin. Went to get the WI DL. No test, short wait. Took my picture, the lady asked me if I had a motocy endorsement for Hawaii. I said no. She said well, you had one when you left WI 10 years ago so I'll just put it back on for you. Handed me my new DL and I left. Very cool!

Archived