Obama Plans to Cut Social Security Next

cavanami

I don't think the interview is a test of english language. As far as I know, knowing english or passable english is not a requirement for citizenship. You are allowed to have an interpretor so that would preclude an english proficiency requirment.

The civics portion is given during the interview and they ask for clarification or proof to satisfy any red flags. Such as checking yes, if you have been a member or the communist party, committed a felony, owe taxes, etc.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the USCIS website..........

During your interview, a USCIS officer will test your ability to read, write, and speak English and your knowledge of civics. You must read one sentence out of three sentences correctly in English, and you must write one sentence out of three sentences correctly in English. Your ability to speak English is determined during your interview on your naturalization application. Finally, you must answer 6 out of 10 civics questions correctly to achieve a passing score.

You will be given two opportunities to take the English and civics tests and to answer all questions relating to your naturalization application in English. If you fail any of the tests at your initial interview, you will be retested on the portion of the test that you failed (English or civics) between 60 and 90 days from the date of your initial interview.

I've taught kids who couldn't speak passable English and they were born here, but on the other hand we has some Vietnamese boat kids years ago who couldn't speak a word on English when they landed, but two years later graduated as valdictorians and spoke extremely good English. They wanted to succeed and did, the nonspeakers didn't give a shit. They only wanted a handout and Uncle Sam obliged.

This is something that pisses me off here in California. 1) tax payer funded schools, that teach in Chinese, try to get into one if you are a white kid...it does happen, but with great effort. 2) I work with guys, mostly Chinese who have lived here longer than there, but sound like they just got off the fucking boat, they refuse to speak English when working in a group, and stay in their own little cliques, and are pretty much assholes.

Now, we had one guy, who was asked to give a statement about an accident, he tried the old "...I no speaky English..." shit they all pull when it serves them, but it was pointed out to him, that he has lived here for 30+ years, went to high school here, and has an FAA License, which requires that he prove he can speak, read write and understand English...he was then told that an interpreter could be provided, pick a language, (he was born in Vietnam but claims to be Chinese), but he was going to give a statement about the incident...he then played the race card...the company backed down, I and a black guy said "...if he doesn't have to give a statement, then we don't..." yeah right...I told the guy to his face he was a liar, and he actually got offended, and called me a racist, I agreed, and said "you are still a liar..." God I really hate some of these people, and I especially hate having to kiss their ass to be PC and "tolerant."

I know some expats who have been in LOS since Moses was in the bullrushes - yet can barely speak enough Thai to get around or order a meal. The big difference is they are NOT working here and are NOT getting any special treatment. Fat chance they'd have of getting any either.

I have. They call me racist, one guy made a formal beef, and I won...oddly. The company does say "...speak a common language so no one is excluded from the task at had, and clear communication is present to assure safety and efficiency..." Or some such crap. They also think that is racist as well.

Thanks for the correction on the interview about knowing english. In LA there are those with very limited english skills getting citizenship so I'm wondering how they pass?

The issue nowadays is that historicaly immigrants trying to learn english has never been much of an issue. Immigrant parents wanted their kids to learn english desperately so they'd have a better life and be part of society. Some came as adults or seniors and couldn't speak it but it wasn't because they didn't want to.

Nowadays though, specifically, latinos, they not only feel there is no need but some even feel its a bit insulting to them to have to learn english. It stems in part from a certain amount animosity towards a country they chose to live in. Which must be a strange dichotomy for them. Mexican americans born in the U.S. are often seen as foreign to those who live in Mexico. They may call themselves Mexican in the U.S. but are viewed as Americans in Mexico.

There won't be a national language. That ship sailed decades ago. Any legislation to try and have one (and there have been congressional attempts) won't pass. Politically, it just won't happen.

Archived