'Obama Has Underestimated the Frustration in the Country'

Flashermac

The dramatic ascent of the Tea Party continued in America this week, with the conservative movement scoring another surprise victory in the Republican primary in Delaware. German editorialists digested the news on Thursday and warned that both Republicans and Democrats were right to feel uneasy.

Even a few weeks ago, it was considered impossible that the Tea Party favorite Christine O'Donnell would win the primary in Delaware. She was long seen as being too far to the right to woo enough votes. On Tuesday, such predictions were consigned to the trash when O'Donnell beat a veteran congressman to secure the Republican nomination in the Delaware race for the US Senate.

The Tea Party movement has won a succession of Republican primaries, with its conservative, anti-establishment candidates. O'Donnell is known for her pro-gun, anti-abortion stance, as well as her belief that masturbation is a sin.

In the Delaware primary, O'Donnell got 53 percent of the vote, ousting Mike Castle, a long-standing politician who has represented his party as a state governor and in Congress.

"The people of Delaware have spoken. No more politics as usual," O'Donnell told enthusiastic fans after results came out. "The cause is restoring America."

In the weeks running up to her victory, O'Donnell gained publicity with endorsements from Sarah Palin, the former Republican vice presidential candidate, and the National Rifle Association.

Recent weeks have brought a string of successes for the Tea Party. In another boost to the grassroots movement, Carl Paladino, its candidate in New York, surprised pundits by wining the Republican nomination to run for governor in November.

The Tea Party movement has enjoyed a comet-like rise since last year. It provides a haven for voters for whom the mainstream Republican Party is not conservative enough, and its popularity is widely attributed to dissatisfaction with US President Barack Obama and frustration with the lackluster US economy. Many observers expect its rise will force the Repubican Party to move further to the right.

On Thursday, German editorialists look at what the latest victory means for US politics.

The center-right Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung writes:

"The spectacular successes of the grassroots conservative movement could turn out to be a political boomerang for the opposition Republicans, whose chances for the midterm elections were looking good or even very good. The Republicans will now be drawn further and further towards the right, meaning that they will no longer be an option for non-ideological voters who are disillusioned with the Democrats. In this way the Republicans could jeopardize their own future success. The Democrats' best campaigner isn't Obama, but rather the anti-establishment front of its opponent."

The conservative daily Die Welt writes:

"This sort of nomination is intended as a putsch against the Republican establishment, but it doesn't solve the Democrats' problems. They are threatened by a massive loss of support in the midterm elections, where the whole House of Representatives and a third of the Senate and a large chunk of the governor posts are up for grabs. But the Republicans' goal is to regain the majority in both houses of Congress. If they fail to accomplish this double whammy, the Democrats can breathe a sigh of relief."

The business daily Handelsblatt writes:

"Glen Beck, Sarah Palin and the Tea Party are part of an opposition movement outside of Congress which is moving mountains. This is a revolt against 'Obamaism,' which is seen as representing big government, more taxes, a higher deficit and not enough 'Americanism.' Day by day, it puts more and more pressure onto those at the top."

"In the US, people ... spend time and money supporting the Republicans. Unlike in Germany, in America, which never had a Hitler, being 'right-wing' is not taboo. 'Right-wing' represents Reagan, religion, the free market, individualism, patriotism and small government. In reality, it is an impossible mixture: National pride, God and tradition are conservative 'us' values. The profit motive, competition and a weak state are 'me-first' sentiments ... . But this mixture of conservative values and neoliberalism works well in America, where it transcends social class -- that's the difference to Germany."

The center-left Süddeutsche Zeitung writes:

"The success of the Tea Party candidate Christine O'Donnell does not bode well for the Republicans, nor for the Democrats (even if they see it differently at the moment), nor for the whole American political machine."

"Obama has underestimated the frustration in the country and the power of the Tea Party movement, which gives the prevailing disillusionment a platform and a voice. It is by far the most vibrant political force in America. Obama's left-of-center coalition, which got young people and intellectuals involved and which appealed to a majority of women, blacks and Latinos, has evaporated into nothing."

"The new right, though, is on the rise. It sets the agenda. America is facing a shift to the right. The Republicans have already marched in this direction of their own accord, regardless how many Tea Party reactionaries get a seat and a voice in Congress in November. The Democrats and the president have been put totally on the defensive. From now on they will only be able to react, rather than act."

-- Jess Smee

Der Spiegel

Karl Rove is starting to sound like a Lib...

"Did you ask her about the people who were following her home to her headquarters?" Rove asked, adding: "There are just a lot of nutty things she's been saying."

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/09/karl-rove-dukes-it-out-with-hannity-there-are-a-lot-of-nutty-things-odonnells-been-saying.php?ref=fpa

In the Delaware primary, O'Donnell got 53 percent of the vote, ousting Mike Castle, a long-standing politician who has represented his party as a state governor and in Congress.

"The people of Delaware have spoken. No more politics as usual," O'Donnell told enthusiastic fans after results came out. "The cause is restoring America."

Of course, *reality* is somewhat different. Of the state’s 621,000 plus registered voters, only 182,000 plus are registered Republicans. Fewer than 60,000 people voted in the closed Republican primary on Tuesday. So O'Donnell got less than 32,000 votes of 621,000. Somehow, I think that's not a mandate nor an uprising LOL! So Obama is correct in ignoring these idiots (hell, I'd be encouraging them).

What it means that the TeaPartiers made a shoo-in 30+ year incumbent GOP candidate lose and just gave the seat to any Dem who can fog a mirror.

A word comes to mind about this story: Spinderella!

Yeah TeaParty! You just keep on doing what your're doing!

And even better, the GOP/RNC are now doubling-down on the crazy, throwing money at her, and dissing their former hero Karl Rove (who's now tap-dancing to back off on his assessment of the crazy). :rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl::rotl:

At least Castle (the loser) has some class and refuses to endorse her.

Yes, the Tea Baggers are bad news for the Republicans. I'm happy for their successes.

Give the Dems a better chance.

Hang onto that 'free' health care for all those 'illegals' and malingerers.

And continue to expand that Bush deficit.

"...'Right-wing' represents Reagan, religion, the free market, individualism, patriotism and small government. In reality, it is an impossible mixture..."

What a crock of shit! Reagan was the shit that started all this mess, "Small government?" Didn't government actually grow under Reagan and Bush1?

..."Religion?" has no fucking business in politics and or public policy...

"Individualism?" The repukes don't believe in that, never have, they want their idea of "traditional family values" enforced at all costs...

"Patriotism?" Don't the dems have more vets on their roster than the repukes? guess being a vet is not patriotic...

"Free market?" for who? Big business? no, this all started with "trickle down" which ment the working class got pissed on...

an impossible mix in a free society, yes, but not if the repukes get their way, it will be forced down our throats whether we like it or not.

Meanwhile...this should be interesting.

[color:blue]Rally to Restore Sanity

"I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

Who among us has not wanted to open their window and shout that at the top of their lungs?

Seriously, who?

Because we're looking for those people. We're looking for the people who think shouting is annoying, counterproductive, and terrible for your throat; who feel that the loudest voices shouldn't be the only ones that get heard; and who believe that the only time it's appropriate to draw a Hitler mustache on someone is when that person is actually Hitler. Or Charlie Chaplin in certain roles.

Are you one of those people? Excellent. Then we'd like you to join us in Washington, DC on October 30 -- a date of no significance whatsoever -- at the Daily Show's "Rally to Restore Sanity." Ours is a rally for the people who've been too busy to go to rallies, who actually have lives and families and jobs (or are looking for jobs) -- not so much the Silent Majority as the Busy Majority. If we had to sum up the political view of our participants in a single sentence... we couldn't. That's sort of the point.

Think of our event as Woodstock, but with the nudity and drugs replaced by respectful disagreement; the Million Man March, only a lot smaller, and a bit less of a sausage fest; or the Gathering of the Juggalos, but instead of throwing our feces at Tila Tequila, we'll be actively *not* throwing our feces at Tila Tequila. Join us in the shadow of the Washington Monument. And bring your indoor voice. Or don't. If you'd rather stay home, go to work, or drive your kids to soccer practice... Actually, please come anyway. Ask the sitter if she can stay a few extra hours, just this once. We'll make it worth your while.[/color]

http://www.rallytorestoresanity.com/

Or, better yet...

[color:red]

March to Keep Fear Alive

America, the Greatest Country God ever gave Man, was built on three bedrock principles: Freedom. Liberty. And Fear -- that someone might take our Freedom and Liberty. But now, there are dark, optimistic forces trying to take away our Fear -- forces with salt and pepper hair and way more Emmys than they need. They want to replace our Fear with reason. But never forget -- "Reason" is just one letter away from "Treason." Coincidence? Reasonable people would say it is, but America can't afford to take that chance.

So join The Rev. Sir Dr. Stephen T. Colbert, D.F.A. on October 30th for the "March to Keep Fear Alive"â„¢ in Washington DC. Pack an overnight bag with five extra sets of underwear -- you're going to need them. Because, to Restore Truthiness we must always... Shh!!! What's that sound?! I think there's someone behind you! Run![/color]

http://www.keepfearalive.com/

<< "Patriotism?" Don't the dems have more vets on their roster than the repukes? guess being a vet is not patriotic... >>

I'm not sure about that any more. A military service records when I was a kid was almost essential for politician. If you didn't have one, people called you chicken shit or a shirker. Nowadays, you've got a few old WWII and Korean War vets in Congress, plus a handful VN vets. I remember my father complaining about this maybe 30 years ago - non-vets voting to send other people's sons off to fight and die in questionable wars.

The Tea Party movement has won a succession of Republican primaries, with its conservative, anti-establishment candidates. O'Donnell is known for her pro-gun, anti-abortion stance, as well as her belief that masturbation is a sin.

[/url]

So, the Tea Party has actually morphed into or is actually a fringe Republican group? It challenges the established Republican power brokers to what end? Replace it with something more extreme?

I've long stopped being a supporter of political parties and started becoming a supporter of individuals based on their own merit, regardless of party.

If you all think either party are ideologically sound and reflect what they advertise to be, I've got some prime beach property in Kansas for you.

The advent of political parties has become one of the worst things to happen to this country. The very framers who started this succumbed to their own weaknesses. The top two vote getters were President and VP. What a great check.

I truly believe that some are more loyal to the party than the country and they muddy the two as if its one and the same. If you're a Republican you are a true patriot. If you're a Demorcat you're stopping the fascist Republicans from taking away the freedoms we were promised. Its all a pile of bullshit. I was part of that. I apologize for offending some of you. I truly do. But to me its bullshit.

The sad thing is that either party actually WISHES the other fail. Partly because they don't want their ideology to be proven false with prosperity and partly because of pure, unadulterated power. Yes, they want them and their to prosper personally but not the country as a whole. Each party finds the most inate, petty thing to say 'See, this guy (or gal) is bad for you'. If the economy is good its morals (Clinton). A bad economy makes it easy. I supported Obama in the election (since Ron Paul didn't in the Republcan primary) but I swear to you had McCain won I'd wish him the best of luck and pray whatever he did worked even if I disagreed with it.

Can any Republican actually tell me they want the country to prosper under Obama? Can they actually tell me they want his plans to work despite what they honestly and truly believe is a wrong course for the country? The same can be said of Dems. The stock market actually took off for a while under Dubya after 911. Nary a word mentioned. Dubya made it easy, damn easy to be labled a demogogue.

The parties have falsely stated "America is a two party country and has a two party system". Its true but they state it as if it was intended to be so. It wasn't. We morphed into it.

Only a 3rd party, unaffiliated and untainted by the powers behind the present Congress can possibly save us ironcially. A party that does not accept the money to financia compaigns from the special interest groups. I don't give a flying shit if these party members are gay, female, moslem, NY Yankees or Manchester United fans (...er...ah...strike the last one). They can even have committed minor offenses (pot smoking, DUI as a kid or young adult). I'd even take a rehabilitated ex con. As long as they uphold and love the contsitution and are honest with us and themselves.

Archived