Burma info

Guest baldrick

Guest lazyphil

I'm looking at a whistle stop trip to Burma next May. Will aim to stay at Bagan, only have 8 days (folks are taking daughter and nieces away for a break leaving me to my own devices!)....if its too complecated getting visa, and general travel i.e. time consuming getting from point A to point B i'll just stay in thailand.

any first hand or sensible second hand info welcome :content:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LP, I started a thread about visa on arrival in Myanmar on 24 June 2010. I'd post the link here but don't know how. Anyway my opening post was:

"Not sure if this info has been posted before, but I think it would make me more likely to pop over for a quick visit on one of my LOS trips

Myanmar officially announced on 30 April that there will be Visa On Arrival facilities from 01 May 2010.

Visitors now apply at Yangon Airport Immigration counter obtaining forms either online or in-flight along with 2 recent photos (4 x 6 cm).

Visa is available to a current passport holders with a validity of minimum 6 months before expiry and a return air ticket.

US$ 30 per person charge for Tourist Visa with a 28 days stay - no extensions.

Visitors must use licensed hotels and state details on the visa form.

Children under 7 years old do not pay visa fees.

Visitors must show at least US$ 300 per person for their visit.

Source: Thailand Construction News - TCN161 - 23-06-10"

I've always wanted to visit Burma but to give my hard-earned cash to a government that is oppresive isn't something I could consciously deal with.

So how hard earned is your cash?

As for me if I want to visit Myanmar I will, no matter how hard it was for me to earn the cash to do so.

Archived