Burma info

Guest baldrick

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Aung San Suu Kyi, the Burmese opposition leader under house arrest in Rangoon, has urged a boycott of travel to the country, arguing tourism merely lines the pockets of the military and its cronies. The junta has also been accused of using forced labour in the construction of hotels." Its an individual choice for those with no conscience.

Allistar, it seems that you know even less than me about the tourism boycott on Burma. :surprised:

---

Burma opposition leader Suu Kyi: 'Tourism might help'

Aung San Suu Kyi, the Burmese opposition leader currently under house arrest, has dropped her opposition to tourism to Burma.

Aung San Suu Kyi, the Burmese opposition leader, who was sentenced this week to a further 18 months' house arrest, has dropped her opposition to tourism to Burma.

She now believes it can be encouraged, provided it is run through private operations and not through the government, and that visitors might help draw attention to the oppression of the people by the military junta. She has made her views known through a close acquaintance and former member of her party, the National League for Democracy (NLD).

When last quoted on the subject, in a BBC interview in 2002, she said: "We have not yet come to the point where we encourage people to come to Burma as tourists." She has since been silent on the issue.

The news of her change of stance has been welcomed by the travel trade but left campaigners against the military regime unmoved.

Amrit Singh, director of TransIndus Travel, who grew up in Burma, said: "I am thrilled and heartened. Three years ago I heard through a senior member of the NLD, that the Lady [as Aung San Suu Kyi is known to the Burmese] was reconsidering her view, and I am delighted that she has. The call to boycott Burma has had no impact on the military's stance. It has only managed to isolate the ordinary people by encouraging the world to look away."

Mark Farmaner, director of the Burma Campaign UK, said his organisation would continue to call for a boycott unless there was an official announcement from the NLD of a change in policy.

---

More:

Boycott Burma: To go or not to go?

Alright, I admit that the "no conscience" remark was a little strong. My reasons for not going are two fold. Maybe the boycott will work or maybe not, since Burma is under the protective financial and political umbrella of China and that means far more than what tourist spend in Burma. However, I don't want any of my money, as a tourist, going to help legitimise the Burmese government. As important, I won't go to any country (Iran, N. Korea as examples) that allow "show trials" against westerners and which put down political opposition with bloody force. Its certainly anyone's personal decision on whether on not to go to such a country but, in the unlikely event you find yourself arrested or in the middle of a violent conflict, don't expect any help from your home government.

Alright, I admit that the "no conscience" remark was a little strong. My reasons for not going are two fold. Maybe the boycott will work or maybe not, since Burma is under the protective financial and political umbrella of China and that means far more than what tourist spend in Burma. However, I don't want any of my money, as a tourist, going to help legitimise the Burmese government. As important, I won't go to any country (Iran, N. Korea as examples) that allow "show trials" against westerners and which put down political opposition with bloody force. Its certainly anyone's personal decision on whether on not to go to such a country but, in the unlikely event you find yourself arrested or in the middle of a violent conflict, don't expect any help from your home government.

Why should I hate Burma or North Korea? They just want to be left alone. They didn't send suicide bombers to Times Square, murder thousands on 9/11, blow up buses in London, terrorize the Western world with threats or cut the throats of westerners.

I'm not siding with a power crazed politician, in a peaceful country, that poses no risk to my society.

I'll go to Burma, spend as much as I like and if someone doesn't like it they can screw themselves.

Archived