Burma info

Guest baldrick

If in doubt LP go and hav a chat with Sun Far Travel. They are pretty up to date on all things Burma as far as travel goes. Maybe they can put a schedule together for you.

http://www.sunfartravels.com/

Maymyo is a must especially if you are a George Orwell fan. I put it on my top 5 places to visit in the world.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've always wanted to visit Burma but to give my hard-earned cash to a government that is oppresive isn't something I could consciously deal with.

CF, historically we've never agreed upon much, but you nailed it for me as well. I just can't see myself going there until they clean up their act. My own little protest, I disagree with the SMH op-ed conclusion.

Full disclosure: was there for a weekend once in 1997...

Guest lazyphil

myanmar sounds less exotic and enigmatic that burma-so burma it remains! (and yangon???...purleeeese!!)......i just want to have a look, i'm sure locals welcome curious visitors and are proud to show their country off, i'm sure they prefer that than to be left in the dark.

i remember talking to a black south african in 1996 while in durban who was sad people kept away during the apartheid years in protest, he thought people should have kept politics and travel seperate, i tend to agree....

It's best to find out in advance whether there will be visas on arrival at Rangoon airport. They chop and change their minds quite often and I can's see things improving with the elections due early November. The most recent info is that are not issuing tourist visas on arrival. Tourist visas could even be stopped during this this period.

Plenty of hanky-panky to be had here if you know where to look. Any taxi driver will take you to J.J.'s(fourth floor)where you will find many delightful temptresses. If you want to experience other venues then chat with a cabbie who can speak English. There are heaps around.

Cheers

SL :drool: :evil: :content:

I've always wanted to visit Burma but to give my hard-earned cash to a government that is oppresive isn't something I could consciously deal with.

CF' date=' historically we've never agreed upon much, but you nailed it for me as well. I just can't see myself going there until they clean up their act. My own little protest, I disagree with the SMH op-ed conclusion.

Full disclosure: was there for a weekend once in 1997...[/quote']

Just wondering what we've never agreed on :)

• 4 weeks later...

"Aung San Suu Kyi, the Burmese opposition leader under house arrest in Rangoon, has urged a boycott of travel to the country, arguing tourism merely lines the pockets of the military and its cronies. The junta has also been accused of using forced labour in the construction of hotels." Its an individual choice for those with no conscience.

Archived