email hijacked/virus

Old Hippie

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Hotmail - mailing list also was hacked or stolen recently.

Don't have a clue how the hackers obtained my mailing list.

But fortunately I have only a few names in the address book - as I use multiple email accounts - gmail, yahoo, aol, etc.

And on that Hotmail account the few names on list - those people emailed me asking why I was trying to sell some product.

Interestingly, shortly after this Hotmail made me change my password from 6 numbers/letters to 8 numbers/letters.

After that, the bogus emails stopped.

What I have since done is to place my own email address in address book and also an email address that does not work - both so that if something is ever mass mailed again using my correct email address - I will get one myself and a return to sender. So in theory, I should know right away.

This only happened in Hotmail. And this Hotmail is a web based Windows Live Hotmail.

Also after some research, I was advised not to use web based email for anything important.

Any ideas how to stop it?

the further you get away from Microsoft, the less viruses etc you encounter.

Here

I'm not sure but i think you can import all your stuff from hotmail into Gmail, but google is your friend..

Line 3

LOL

you must be the only person I've ever encountered that has had an issue getting a gmail account...

They never refuse anyone, I've got 6 of them, age requirement?

I've never seen an age requirement?, I just made a new one just then, no age requirement, sure it was gmail you were at?

Hang on if I do this from NZ they don't want to know by DOB but from the US you do, I see,

Birthday:

MM/DD/YYYY (e.g. "10/2/2010")

try using a "real" birthday, you're not 21 anymore :)

Cheers

Coss

I used a real birthday...and it still gave me shit...I'll try again later...

Gmail is tied up with geneology.com and they ask for your great, great, great, great grandmothers maiden name. Screw that up and you are done.

Seriously, OH, I got 5 gmail accounts and each came with 100 invitations.

"Send Invite 95 left" and that is only on one of my Gmail accounts.

Archived