email hijacked/virus

Old Hippie

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the same thing a few months back. All I did was changed my password and it stopped. Also I sign in every time I open my account now (save my email address option) whereas before I had it set up so that opening hotmail took me straight to my inbox (save my email address and password option).

If changing your password and virus scans don't solve the problem, I would contact hotmail wrt the problem and reinstall the OS after formatting the HD.

It would be the first time that I hear that the mac had been infected/hijacked for to attack a Hotmail account. But who knows.

Did you use Hotmail on a Windows PC recently or worse on a public Windows PC (internet cafe e.g.)? It experienced in BKK more than once that a previous user in an internet cafe did neither logout properly nor flushed the browser (history, cookies, webforms) and the next user could open the email account by just clicking on the email link in the browser history.

My advice: Use a very complicated at least 8 digit password and click on the logout button every time you leave Hotmail.

Don't know if this is mathematically true, but it is nevertheless good advice: I read on a website offering "online security" tips that the difference between a password of all lower-case letters and the same password with one special character (*, #, etc.) and one capital letter inserted is, someone can hack the lower-case password in a few hours, whereas it would take years to hack the modified one...

I've used a password with special character/capital letter combination for years, and never have any of my accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, plus several others) been hacked...

Don't know if this is mathematically true, but it is nevertheless good advice: I read on a website offering "online security" tips that the difference between a password of all lower-case letters and the same password with one special character (*, #, etc.) and one capital letter inserted is, someone can hack the lower-case password in a few hours, whereas it would take years to hack the modified one...

I've used a password with special character/capital letter combination for years, and never have any of my accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, plus several others) been hacked...

Every password which consists of full words nowadays can be hacked easily with the so called dictionary attack - the hackers have lists of all words in all (?) languages used...

And passwords which use names of pets, family members, high school, birthdays, e.g. can be hacked easily through social hacking. Just force Hotmail to ask a security question (name of dog, city of birth e.g.) and check the account owner's facebook page...

That it was how Sarah Palin's Yahoo account got hacked by a school kid.

A longer password which consists of a garbled mix of characters, numbers, e.g. is much harder or even impossible to hack.

Somehow/some reason, my hotmail is sending out ads for some company...no idea how it happened...but how the fuck do I stop it? I already changed the password...using MAC if it matters...

OH,

I have been getting emails from your account the past couple of days promoting some company and signed by some 'trekkermaze'.

Cent

Archived