Rep. John Shimkus, because God promised Noah...

temfarang

A leading contender to chair the House Energy Committee, Rep. John Shimkus, believes because God promised Noah after the flood that he wouldn't destroy the planet again.

"As long as the earth endures, seed time and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, will never cease," the Illinois Republican said confidently, quoting Chapter 8, Verse 22 of Genesis.

"I believe that is the infallible word of God, and that's the way it is going to be for his creation," Shimkus continued. "The earth will end only when God declares its time to be over. Man will not destroy this earth. This earth will not be destroyed by a flood."

thank gawd for the sane leadership the GOP will provide americans in the 21st century

& barry is a muslim from kenya

http://www.newser.com/story/105010/john-shimkus-energy-committee-hopeful-bases-climate-change-position-on-bible.html

If ever there was a case for keeping religion out of politics. This coming from a Christian.

Actually, in another thread, I posted something that I heard once which makes his statement kinda true in some sense.

If the global warming thingy is true and we end up in another ice age or the complete opposite and the polar ice caps melt, yadda, yadda, the species we end up killing are ourselves. The earth is remarkably resilient...patient. Although it may take millions of years, the earth does 'heal itself' and comes back to its prior state.

When the meteor that killed the dinosaurs blackened the sky and killed the plants and with it most of the animal life the earth came back. The sky eventually got clear and it came back. Same with with ice age. I've heard that even if we have global nuclear war and kill each other, the radiation over time (is it 10,000 years at a minimum) will erode and the earth will come back again.

New species, both plant and animal life and such will emerge but the earth itself will be back.

So, he's right in a sense. Only being knocked out of our orbit or sun flares to the point of frying us like a microwave may end it all.

His religious beliefs aren't what bother me. He and I share the same relgion (I'm embarrassed to say) and I believe in the same things he has (I see you all laughing, I'm the son of a baptist deacon, sue me..lol), what I find disconcerting is using religion when deciding on matters befre the Congress. If he can then a moslem, jew, or agnostic can use their view for congressional matters as well.

No one should which is the real point and its goes against what the founders wanted.

I bet you he comes from a district that has constituency that see nothing wrong with what he said, which is scary.

Amongst the myriad of issues I had with Bush, one was his using his religion as a reason for some of this policies. At times the Bible trumped the Constitution in importance and he took an oath on a bible to uphold said Constitution. Ironic...as well as moronic.

Archived