Drudge Stirs National Debate On TSA Abuse

Flashermac

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can we assume airport theft is now zero? Not too long ago' date=' one person in Phoenix got busted for stealing over 1000 suitcases. It seems the 'law' doesn't go after these people until they have stolen over 1000 suitcases.[/quote']

You seem really hung up on this Theft issue. But it is completely different/not related to security regarding flights. The theft happens on the ground, and is not going to kill hundreds or thousands if it happens.

I don't like the idea of a guy grabbing my junk, it is gay, and an invasion...a woman would be less offensive to me, but that won't happen. I'd probably go for the scanner. For the record, I have not been groin grabbed yet (damned!) one guy got a bit close in Nepal, and I expressed outrage, and he backed off...I mean not with out some drinks and sweet talk honey!

Frankly, I don't think I should be searched at all, as I have a ramp badge and have access to the planes, if I wanted to do some shit, I could, and there is no way TSA could stop me. Same for pilots.

I hate the idea of strip searches and pat downs, especially the groin check. The scanner is also a problem, but what is the alternative? Ok, so if we give in on this the terrorists won? Bullshit, they already won in that respect, want them to win again by bringing down a few more planes? I mean that is the price of no security...so what's the answer? I mean we have a choice, fly and put up with it, or don't fly and stay home...seems simple...yeah I hate it, but I have a choice.

[color:red]If a person can steal what is inside a suitcase, what prevents him or her from putting something inside the suitcase - like a bomb?[/color]

Eh for starters, there is a difference between a thief and a terrorist.

In all the years of working for various airlines, I only know of 1 case where someone actually stole something...it was a wallet left on a plane, and a cleaner picked it up, took the money, and was trying to flush the wallet when he was caught...

Most "theft" occurs in the claim area, yes there is video surveillance, but it sucks, and it is monitored by the lowest bidder. A lot of shit also just falls out of bags because people pack them poorly, or leave them in open pockets. [color:red]Most of what you call theft is NOT done by airline employees or contract workers.[/color] It is people off the street grabbing a bag off the belt of curb and walking away with it.

There are also a hell of a lot of fraudulent claims filed. There is a reason a lot of shit is not covered by your baggage check in agreement/payout coverage.

Now, stop mixing issues here, as 1 has NOTHING to do with the other. A terrorist who wants to stuff a bomb in his pants or up his ass will do so, there should be some way to detect this, and stop it. Until you or someone else comes up with a better way, we are stuck with this, or we can choose to NOT fly. That simple...

Lets say one of the people up in Phoenix that got caught (each different incidents) with stealing over 1000 suitcases got 'caught' not by the police but by somebody who wanted to have a bomb put on an airplane. [color:red]Could it happen?[/color]

From my experience, albeit a long time ago, most of the pilferage was done in the bagroom, where bags are loaded into containers before departure (as there's plenty of time to go through them). The other place were the transfer areas, where bags would be left to sit on the tarmac for transfer between terminals. Entire bags were mostly stolen from the baggage claim areas, unclaimed (mishandled) bags that should have been put in a lock-up and eventually sent to the airlines HQ.

Mechanics might be a different story, but I think baggage handlers with ramp access should be checked. Sure they have security clearance, but these are the same guys who get busted for drug smuggling and theft, they are minimum wage type jobs, and it's not hard for anyone with a clean record to get one.

Every time I fly from LA to Tucson, stuff gets stolen from my suitcase.

I never had anything stolen from Bangkok to LA with a stop over in Taipai

Maybe what the USA should do is see how the Thais and Taiwanese reduce their theft rate.

Simple solution. Move from Tucson to LA.

I've seen stats that show that claimed thefts involve only about 3 out of 100,000 pieces of luggage. You're either really, really unlucky or have signs on your luggage "Please handle with care. Very expensive shit inside."

BTW, where did you find the theft stats by which one can compare Thailand, Taiwan and the U.S.?

And what do the Thai's and Taiwanese do that results in lower claims of theft?

And what does all this have to do with the subject header regarding the instant matter? Are bodies missing after being scanned?

HH

Every time I fly from LA to Tucson' date=' stuff gets stolen from my suitcase.

I never had anything stolen from Bangkok to LA with a stop over in Taipai

Maybe what the USA should do is see how the Thais and Taiwanese reduce their theft rate.[/quote']

Simple solution. Move from Tucson to LA.

[color:red]I've seen stats that show that claimed thefts involve only about 3 out of 100,000 pieces of luggage.[/color] You're either really, really unlucky or have signs on your luggage "Please handle with care. Very expensive shit inside."

BTW, where did you find the theft stats by which one can compare Thailand, Taiwan and the U.S.?

And what do the Thai's and Taiwanese do that results in lower claims of theft?

And what does all this have to do with the subject header regarding the instant matter? Are bodies missing after being scanned?

HH

HH, you are funny.

I like to see your stats on stuff being stolen out of suitcases.

Have you tried filing a claim lately? They don't even want to take a claim because it makes them look bad.

TSA: Pilots to be exempt from some airport checks

Looks like more people need to protest the TSA groping!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/TSA-Pilots-to-be-exempt-from-apf-725526498.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

DALLAS (AP) -- Amid a growing protest against stepped-up and intrusive screening of airline passengers, the government has cut a break for one very influential group of travelers -- the pilots.

The Transportation Security Administration agreed Friday to let uniformed airline pilots skip the body scans and aggressive pat-downs at the heart of a national uproar. The pilots must pass through a metal detector at airport checkpoints and present photo IDs that prove their identity.

The victory for pilots followed a 2-year lobbying campaign by their union leaders that reached a fever pitch in the past two weeks. Their bid was boosted by hero pilot Chesley Sullenberger, who said pilots should be treated as "trusted partners" in the fight against terrorism....

[

HH, you are funny.

I like to see your stats on stuff being stolen out of suitcases.

Have you tried filing a claim lately? They don't even want to take a claim because it makes them look bad.

Hey, coming from a funny man's funny man, I'm honored (but trying to be gracious). :neener:

I haven't had to file a claim and I've done most of my take-offs and landings in LAX. Stats regarding ALLEGED stolen stuff is on the web.

Now...back to the debate about "TSA Abuse".

HH

Archived