What is the attitude towards Christmas in Bangkok?

whcouncill

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only around 1.5% of Thais are Christian, but sanuk is sanuk. Schools may have parties and the merchants are pushing it these days. Lots of Christmas music and decorations around - non-religious type. (I suspect most Thais think Christmas celebrates Santa Claus's birthday.) Expect the BGs to be wearing Santa hats and maybe red Santa's helper outfits (if they are wearing anything but a hat). Stop by the Dollhouse Soi Cowboy and see if Darel has the place knee deep in ersatz snow again.

But the holiday is completely unofficial, except in the Christian private schools. Everything is open as usual.

One more thing ... expect the gogo bars to triple the bar fine on Christmas eve and New Year's eve! :shocked:

you're advised to book in advance if you want say a Christmas dinner at a popular venue as they'll probably already be booked out.

I would love to book a nice Xmas lunch somewhere for when I'm there in December, and I've checked numerous hotel websites that are in the Suk area and NONE of them have anything about Xmas on their websites at all! :doah:

Haven't checked for about 5 days, but wasn't anything at all last time I checked. :dunno:

I would love to book a nice Xmas lunch somewhere for when I'm there in December, and I've checked numerous hotel websites that are in the Suk area and NONE of them have anything about Xmas on their websites at all! :doah:

Haven't checked for about 5 days, but wasn't anything at all last time I checked. :dunno:

All the major hotels have something for Christmas. Seems like they should be putting up on their sites fairly soon.

Bourbon Street also has a dinner every year, as does The Londoner and many others.

Archived