Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Oh dear, now Sowell say it ... and this man is brilliant. :p

Thomas Sowell – Race Riots If Obama Loses

KABC talk show host Larry Elder interviews one of America’s greatest living thinkers, Thomas Sowell, who predicts race riots if Obama loses.

Video

Dr. Thomas Sowell

I listened to Larry Elder when I was in LA for a time. I am a huge fan of Sowell's books. I have a few of them. Every American should read 'Ethnic America'.

However, lately and this has been for a few years now. Each time I've heard him on radio, he's been at best disappointing. His books are fact based and well documented with pages of footnotes siting references, etc.

However, this diatribe I just witnessed on this video is at best irresponsible. He's uttering things I would only have expected out of some far right wing militia member from Montana. There is absolutely NO evidence, even circumstantial that any kind of race riot will happen if Obama is elected.

Black candidates have lost heated mayoral and gubernatorial elections and no riots. Whenever Blacks have rioted its not out of 'sour grapes' but usually, rightly or wrongly, things that there seems to be a clear cut wrong. That 'wrong' is debatable. Rodney King riots. Blacks have been saying for years police abuse is rampant. There was a video this time. Irrefutable to Blacks in LA. Debatable to others. Riots in the '60s over clear social injustice in the eyes of Blacks. Losing an election? Nah. Doesn't happen for that. No riots over Bush 'stealing' the election according to the Sharptons of the world.

Sowell was downright irresponsible and incendiary language. He has NO basis for saying that. No, he does have one. He says when people lose their cushy government jobs or government assistance they'll riot. We aren't Greece.

I'm saddened and disappointed in him frankly. I greatly admired his work but as a person I now find him distasteful. I used to vote Republican, supported Bush in '00. Will be long, long time if I ever vote Republican again.

One more thing about conservative Blacks. You have to 'prove' yourself it seems. Any other person can say they're a proud Irish Catholic, proud Christian, etc. if you're conservative. Ryan says it. Nothing wrong with that. What does EVERY conservative Black say' I'm a proud American'. Good but they know if you say if you're proud to be African-American it sounds militant. It seems every other ethnic group can be proud of their background or religion but Black conservatives can't. They have be above that and be American only.

I know I sound a bit out there. But think about it. If you're a Black conservative and at one time I was, you feel pressured almost to disown your own race to some extent. I'll criticize the stupid ones and the mentality of some but I won't throw the whole culture and race down the stairs or any other ethnicity. there are very good and loyal and hardworking American moslems, jews, irish, gays, etc.

My parents always taught me to take people one at a time, individually and its one of the best advice I've ever gotten from them. I've met some great people from all manner of life with that POV.

• Like 1

Scott Pelley: ‘Most Rancorous Presidential Debate Ever’

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (CBSDC/AP) — President Barack Obama and Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney went toe-to-toe during Thursday night’s presidential debate, talking over one another constantly during very heated exchanges.

“We have never seen anything like that in presidential history,†CBS News anchor Scott Pelley said following the debate. “They turned every question from the audience into an attack on the other.â€

Pelley called it the “most rancorous presidential debate ever.â€

The president was feistier from the outset than he had been in their initial encounter two weeks ago, when he turned in a listless performance that sent shudders through his supporters and helped fuel a rise by Romney in opinion polls nationally and in some battleground states.

Obama challenged Romney on economics and energy policy, accusing him of switching positions and declaring that his economic plan was a “sketchy deal†that the public should reject.

Romney gave as good as he got.

“You’ll get your chance in a moment. I’m still speaking,†the former Massachusetts governor said at one point while Obama was mid-sentence. He said the president’s policies had failed to jumpstart the economy and crimped energy production.

More

Romney v. Obama Was a Nauseating Draw, and Both Deserve to Lose

Back in 1968, Alabama Governor George Wallace thundered that “There’s not a dime’s worth of difference between the Republicans and Democrats.†Wallace’s famous quote sprung to mind last night as Mitt Romney and Barack Obama squared off in their second debate.

Surely there were differences between them, but to watch the debate was to see two candidates vying to say who would cut taxes the least for top earners, who would “crack down†most on China, and who believed the most in an “all of the above†energy strategy. Neither said much of import, if at all, each candidate won certain segments, but the impossible to escape conclusion was just how unimpressive both candidates were.

It was like two beginners playing tennis with each other, neither able to hit the ball over the net. Both deserve to lose.

It began with the first question asked by a Hofstra College student who wanted to know what either would do to ensure that future grads like him will have jobs.

Romney responded that (all quotes paraphrased) “We’ll have to make a college education more affordable for all, and I’ll do this through growth of the Pell Grant program.†The problem, of course, is that it’s the federal government’s existing subsidization of college loans through programs like the Pell Grant that reduce the incentives for colleges and universities to lower tuition costs. And then in promoting a boost in Pell Grant funding, Romney’s calling for more of the same whereby the feds take money from one set of American hands, and place those funds in the hands of others. On the street this would be called theft, but when politicians propose it, it’s “compassion.â€

After that, Romney basically repeated the same line over and over again: “I know what it takes to create jobs, and I’m going to make sure you get a job.†The president as our nanny, one supposes.

The sad thing is that Romney, far more than Obama, does know how to create jobs, but to explain how he does he’d have to be more up front that he’s rich precisely because he’s expert at turning around companies.

Obama’s response was no better. He added his support for expanding the Pell Grant program that makes college more expensive, and then “bragged†that funding for Pell Grants had already increased during his deficit-ridden presidency.

On jobs specifically, the nanny standard bearer for the Democrats said “We need good jobs, jobs that can support a family.†Having said this, he then said that he wanted to create manufacturing jobs which, even if he could, would in today’s world at best foot the bill for a Starbuck’s latte – once a day. Barack Obama to families: Drop dead!

Moderator Candy Crowley followed up with a query about what either candidate would do about the high number of jobless Americans overall.

This segment went to Romney for the former governor pointing out that the unemployment rate is the same today as when Obama entered office. He added that the number is only 7.8% because so many have exited the labor force due to a lack of job opportunities.

Obama responded with his stock line about 5 million jobs created since he entered office, plus his wildly questionable assertion that he saved 1 million automobile jobs; jobs that would have disappeared under Romney for the latter having wanted to send GM and Chrysler into bankruptcy. Romney’s response was fairly good for him pointing out that Obama too took the ailing carmakers into bankruptcy; Romney simply having wanted to do it the normal way (you know, without the fleecing of secured creditors, gifting the automakers to the UAW) whereby the company continues to operate while restructuring its debt.

And on and on ... blah blah blah.

77% likelihood Romney wins popular vote, according to famous U of Colorado study :hmmm:

The University of Colorado (CU) prediction renowned for perfect accuracy will predict a popular-vote win for Mitt Romney later this month, Campus Reform has learned.

The poll has accurately predicted every presidential election since it was developed in 1980. It is unique in that it employs factors outside of state economic indicators to predict the next president.

CU Political Science Professor Dr. Michael Berry, who spoke with Campus Reform at length on Tuesday, said there is at least 77 percent chance that Romney will win the popular vote.

“Our model indicates that Governor Romney has a 77 percent likelihood of winning the popular vote,†said Berry.

That number is significant, not only in its size, but because of the fact that only four presidents since the nation’s founding have won the presidency without capturing the popular vote, the last being George W. Bush in 2000.

Berry noted his model has never been wrong at predicting the outcome of a presidential election.

“For the last eight presidential elections, this model has correctly predicted the winner,†he said.

Berry also acknowledged that while his poll is accurate, however, that his model does not “calculate a specific confidence level for the Electoral College result.â€

The study, conducted every four years, is non-political and employs historical data as well as current unemployment numbers and income levels.

In the crucial swing states of Florida, Ohio, and Virginia, a recent poll reveals that a majority of voters believe the health of the economy is the most important issue of this election.

Additionally, more than double of the respondents in a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll trust Romney over Obama to fix the economic state of our country (63%-29%).

Along with the economy, unemployment adds an element which only increases the probability of the CU prediction.

“The apparent advantage of being a Democratic candidate and holding the White House disappears when the national unemployment rate hits 5.6 percent,†Berry said.

Kenneth Bickers of CU-Boulder adds, “the incumbency advantage enjoyed by President Obama, though statistically significant, is not great enough to offset high rates of unemployment currently experienced in many of the states.â€

The Colorado model has had such accuracy over the years, these results have received no criticism from academic peers, according to Berry.

Berry emphasized that the overall accuracy of this model is based on the premise that American elections circle around the major issues. The day-to-day campaigning, gaffes, and political jabs are quite ineffective to the general population’s decision, come November 6th.

My link

Powerful former Obama aide says president ‘doesn’t really like people,’ apologizes after Drudge flags

A former aide to President Barack Obama is rushing to apologize for her candid analysis of Obama’s interpersonal skills after The Drudge Report spotted and promoted those remarks to the site’s vast audience.

“The truth is, Obama doesn’t call anyone, and he’s not close to almost anyone. It’s stunning that he’s in politics, because he really doesn’t like people,†said Neera Tanden — now president of the powerful Center for American Progress — in an interview with New York Magazine. â€My analogy is that it’s like becoming Bill Gates without liking computers.â€

The description is a jarring diversion for the Obama campaign whose candidate will seek to establish believable political empathy in tonight’s town-hall format presidential debate.

After the quote went viral, Tanden tweeted out her regret for the way she expressed the thought.

Oops! :surprised: