Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Huh ?

Gotta love that icon of conservatism - Ronald Reagan !

Ronald Reagan (1981 to 1689) - 406

George H.W. Bush (1989 to 1993) - 77

Bill Clinton (1993 to 2001) - 456

-

George W. Bush (2001 to 2009) - 176

Barack Obama (2009 to 2017) - 23

There is a saying. A President spends his first 4 years trying to get re-elected and the next 4 yours trying to get into the history books. Nixon wen to China in his second term. Dubya gave the most money ever for HIV to Africa than any other nation. Clinton almost came close to a 2 party state in Israel/Gaza. Obama seems to have settled on Obamacare as his legacy, which was his first term. killing bin Laden is huge but its not remembered which is surprising. If that was any ohter President, they would be heralded. Anyway, my guess is if he is going to do anything of significance it will be after the elections this year. I am also curious to see what he will do post Presidency. Will he go quietly and just make money on the speech circuit like both Bushes or will he be an activist President like Carter and Clinton? My guess is the latter.

Interestng thing is Obama is very centrist. Even right of center. He's angered true liberals as well as Blacks. The younger generation of Blacks have given up on him. The older generation is sticking with him and this includes women of both generations. The older genertion who can remember the '70s and prior are just happy with seeing history made. They never in their wildest dreams envisioned it. The younger ones under 35 and 30 are all about substantive results. Ferguson is an example. Many blogs, forums, etc, that are predominantly black will bash him for non action. By non action, people often think its expanded welfare, etc. No. Its for actions that can lead directly to jobs such as the infrastructure bill, to protect hard fought gains like the voting rights act.

My personal view is he didn't come close to fulfilling the promise but he is no where as bad as what the Fox News crowd says. The fact is the Tea Party bloc in Congress simply will not work with him. Congress has always been about comprimsing on major issues and they won't budge on inch.

The economic numbers have actually been pretty good. Employment numbers, stock market at or near record highs, crime is at a low thats not seen for a couple decades, companies are making money. He could have done much, much more. He's belatedly trying now with the executive orders but he's forced into that frankly. Its a two way street both his and Congress. Congress is more culpable though. The senate has historically been by far the more reasonable of the two chambers but they are now the most obstinate.

• Like 1

"The older generation who can remember the '70s and prior are just happy with seeing history made. They never in their wildest dreams envisioned it."

My mother, who is in her 90s, once said to me: "When I was young, if you'd told me that man would walk on the moon, I'd have thought you were crazy." I suppose Obama is Black Americans' equivalent of the lunar landing.

Wanted Nebraska man found after posting Ice Bucket Challenge to Facebook

An act for charity landed a wanted man back in prison.

Jesean Morris' Ice Bucket Challenge that he posted on his Facebook page led to a “friend" on Facebook tipping police off to where he lived, reports Omaha.com. :rotl:

Police arrested the 20-year-old Omaha man who was wanted for violating his parole. He was released in March after a 2010 conviction for attempted second-degree assault using a firearm.

After posting the video from his home, police said the tipster led police to the exact address.

Morris allegedly tried to give police a false name, spit in an officer's face and damaged their police cruiser, police told the website.

In addition to the parole violation, he was charged with criminal impersonation, resisting arrest and assaulting an officer, the website reported.

It’s unclear if Morris was able to make a donation before he was arrested, but the ALS Association reported Monday morning it had raised $79.7 million since June 29 through the viral social media campaign.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/wanted-man-found-posting-ice-bucket-challenge-facebook-article-1.1915870

I don't care what your ideological tendency is, I think we can al agree this is complete and utter bullshit.

Collecting Rainwater Now Illegal In Many States As Big Government Claims Ownership Over Our Water http://www.getholistichealth.com/40422/collecting-rainwater-now-illegal-in-many-states-as-big-government-claims-ownership-over-our-water/

• Like 1

My great grandmother died in 1974. She was 106. Yep, born in 1868. Imagine that?!! She literally saw man go from train to the moon. My grandmother was born in 1913 and died 2 years ago. She had my mom very late in life for that time. Anyway, my mom who knew her grandmother and she was very light skinned and I believe her father was an ex slave. wasnt fazed by anything. Her town had horses and the train was like a jet plane to them. A wonder. Imgane the progress she saw mankind make? I remember a history professor saying mankind went more in the last 200 years than it did the last 2000.

• Like 1

Wow, 106. My mother had a friend who made it to 105. But the friend herself only made it to 102.

I have photos of my grandfather around 1908-1909. He is sitting on his Pacific Express Company delivery wagon. I knew a man who enlisted the cavalry in 1940 because he loved horses. Then they began talking about going mechanized, and he said he "didn't join the Army to be any damned truck driver." He switched to the USAAF and flew in China in WWII, retired in the 1960s as a jet interceptor pilot. From horses to jets in one life time!

p.s. If we can't save rainwater, what is next ... a tax on the air and sunshine?