Unsecure wifi network question?

Lusty

Is it possible for other people hooked up to an unsecured wifi network to see what I'm looking at?

Couldn't give a toss if I'm on forums,You tube etc but if I'm in my bank account,definetly yes!

Yes they can, if they want. That's airports, Starbucks e.g. a favourite places for hackers. There are two solutions: Using a (usually paid) VPN service, or be sure to connect to email, your bank etc. via https.

IMHO two opportunities present themselves.

1/. The use of the unsecured wireless network to gain access to your computer. This is achievable on any network, regardless of wires/less and is avoidable by normal computer security.

2/. The interception of data as it streams over the unsecured wireless network and subsequent decoding of said data to get access to your passwords etc. Easy to get the data, very hard to actually decode it into meaningful information. But then the Google boys did it with their street view cars. What ever happened to "Don't be Evil" ?

I think it is more likely that Phishing presents a problem to the unwary user. i.e. tricking the user into entering passwords/info into a site that the user thinks is legitimate.

Coss

Archived