RIP - my New Year's Resolution

lifeline

Last week, I was sent an e-mail notifying me about the deaths of two friends. In high school (US - 13 to 17 years of age, I had maybe 5 best friends and these were two of them - one of them was in my wedding party when I married my first wife at age 21). So, RIP.

I just turned 64. Exercise and sports have been the joy of my life. But, I now realize for the last year or two, I have been thinking, "I am too old". For example, there is a basketball court at the Lake in Khon Kaen where I was living until a few months ago. 5 Thai guys (teenagers) wanted to play some 3 on 3 half court basketball. They asked me to play because they needed a 6th guy, I said, "I am gae leeo - old, already" and refused. 15 minutes later they asked again. I said, OK. Not to diminish these young Thai guys at all, very nice guys, but, I am a much better basketball player - I played endless hours as a young boy.

At the end of a spirited game, one of the young Thai boys (very nice guy and decent in English), said to me, you can stop if you want. And, thinking I am an old guy, I did.

So, my New Year's resolution is - fcuk it - I haven't been enjoying life because I am "old". Better to die of a heart attach on the basketball court and having fun then to be the way I have been recently - not living life, thinking I am too old.

Sorry, this is US. Reference Pete Maravich, a great basketball player who died on the court playing a pick up basketball game, reference Jim Fixx, one of the great proponents of jogging who died while out on a run.

So, my New Years Resolution - better to live my life and die prematurely than to sit around thinking, "I am getting old".

Of course, hard to beat Nelson Rockefeller in his 70's dying while in the saddle with his personal assistant.

Cheers

Good for you

About 3 weeks ago I set foot in a Gym for the first time in over 20 years, I am currently going through some personal issues and need to stay active rather than sit and sulk. Maybe it would be more correct to say I was dragged to the gym by a friend to pull me out of my depression.

OK I am quite a bit younger than yourself at 46 but even I had forgotten how invigorating a good workout felt.

So, my New Years Resolution - better to live my life and die prematurely than to sit around thinking, "I am getting old".

Most excellent! Why sacrifice perfectly good party time just to get a few extra years drooling in a wheelchair?

Not being the religious type, I always say: "You get one life, and if you do it right, that's enough!"

Never complain, never explain; no regrets.

Good for you

About 3 weeks ago I set foot in a Gym for the first time in over 20 years, I am currently going through some personal issues and need to stay active rather than sit and sulk. Maybe it would be more correct to say I was dragged to the gym by a friend to pull me out of my depression.

OK I am quite a bit younger than yourself at 46 but even I had forgotten how invigorating a good workout felt.

In a galaxy far, far away, when I was going thru my personal/divorce crap, I made it a point to jog everyday. Got my weight down right quick, great stress reliever and tone up and removed lots of unwanted flab!

Also, on the weekends would often go to a comedy club...laughter is the best medicine!

Got thru the three years it took to get the mess sorted out with no ulcers, loss of hair, etc.

Bank account took a hit, but put the shoulder to the wheel and quickly got the bank accounts propped up and never looked back!

Hang tough and resolve to make 2011 a better year!

Have to agree live life to the full. Jimmy (67) a game old boy full of life and laughter lived across the street from me and five years ago he was told to give up the drink and ciggies to live longer by the Doc.

He did and lived for three years and was the most miserable bastard you could ever come across.

Cavi

As you have probably noticed weight is not an issue with me (well I probably need to put some on)

I am trying all I can to stop myself from hitting the booze, I really do want to go amd get wasted but I realise it is the wrong choice hence the reason I hit the gym aganin. It is more mental than physical. I need activities to keep me away from the bottle and a good work out is one of them.

I will "Hang Tough" I have no other choice

When I was 43, close to your age now, I was going through a personal crisis. I got into long distance running - ran a couple of marathons. Many Sundays, 30km. My running partner was a farang phuuying (name Barb) the size of a Thai lady that appeals to me (small and thin). Unfortunately, she was gay. But, still, we became great friends. Looking back on my life, some of my best times were running with Barb.

For the next 15 years (until I needed back surgery), as long as I could go for a run for an hour, I never had a bad day.

Anyway, hope you keep it up. A good workout releases stress, get the endorphines going and makes any day a good day.

Cheers

Archived