new mobile

Dexi

Thought it was about time I got a new mobile as the present one is nearly 5 yrs old now.Saw a good deal on a Nokia that does most things ie. 3G,web access,camera,video etc.Should be just about the cheapest way of checking e-mails securely ( ie. not using internet cafes or wifi ).One thing occured to me though - can mobiles get anything which is potentially harmfull while connected to the web ( viruses etc )?

Viruses will come to smart phones, but they haven't arrived yet.

If you want to surf websites, you'll need a smart phone either an Android phone or an iPhone (Android phones can be much cheaper).

If you just want to read and send text emails any 3G phone will do - even an Nokia with its outdated Symbian OS.

Is the Symbian O/S no good for looking at web sites ?Read one or two reviews of the Nokia and this was not mentioned.I need it mainly to check e-mails while in LOS but may also need to occasionally access web sites.The model is on special offer and is about half the price of the top range smartphones.

Is the Symbian O/S no good for looking at web sites ?Read one or two reviews of the Nokia and this was not mentioned.I need it mainly to check e-mails while in LOS but may also need to occasionally access web sites.The model is on special offer and is about half the price of the top range smartphones.

You will def need WiFi in Los. If you check websites via data roaming you phone bill will explode - I made the mistake to check Thai360 while sitting in front of Tilac. For the roaming fee I could have barfined a girl... :surprised:

HTC Desire vs. Nokia N8 – Web Browser speed test

Whoa!!! You roam on your mobile for 700baht unlimimited???

Tell me this is a joke or some michievous word play, na!

Whilst AIS gives me unlimited data at about that sort of rate per month it sure does NOT include roaming. As soon as I step outside of Thailand the rates become truly wallet wilting.

You don't need wi-fi, there are plenty of local SIM cards to stick in any phone for cheap internet access. Bear in mind 3G capable phones are rather limited in Thailand since the 3G networks are in a state of flux. E.g most, if not all, HTC phones don't do True 3G - but will do TOT 3G. I have found EDGE works well enough for basic non video surfing and is very cheap.

Archived