Nasty Storm Headed To Australia

Hugh_Hoy

When the flooding happened in Queensland, a woman, who was some government official spoke to reporters but was also speaking to her own people. She spoke in a pronounced Oz accent. What struck me about her talk and what made me smile was she spoke in a similar manner to how an American would have. She said 'Don't forget, we're Queenslanders....' and so on she said it proudly and in her statement she said they'll survive, they came from a hardy stock of people and they'll rebuild. It reminded me so much of the classic American outlook.

We share a few things, the Aussies and us. We were both the rejects of Britain. We both came to a land that was not for the faint of heart. We even share one or two not so good things about our history (our treatment of the native population).

What I heard in her was reminiscent of America. The same characteristics that as Americans we think made us great I saw in her speech.

Good luck Aussies!!

Flew up to Port Moresby on Wednesday as it crossed the Pacific towards Cairns. We actually flew around it. Flight was rough but not the worst I have been on.

Big argument going on now about the Fili bananas being imported to fill the void in supplies. Bananas are #1 fruit sold here in Oz and 90% of crop destroyed. Last time this happened they went from $1.99 KG to $13.99 KG almost overnight.

Archived