Meltdown Likely Under Way At Japan Nuclear Reactor

ozpharlap

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its bizarre when you consider that we all spent so many years living in fear of Japan's neighbours and their atomic arsenals, and said neighbours are now forced to sit and wait with the rest of us. Might be time for the UN to start putting pressure on all countries with 1960s technology masquerading as nuclear power plants.

fuckin freezing on the loas border, below 12 last night

That was one of the things that struck me in the Bourdain travelogue in Laos - the locals looked like they were dressed for the North Korean 'Spring' ! Admittedly, he was a lot further north than Vientiane, but it drove home some of the stuff the locals told me about Udon Thani actually having a Winter, as opposed to a 'cool season' lasting 10 days or so ....

I woke up this morning with one of the cats sleeping on my chest to stay warm. Effing global warming in freezing us out. 17.8C when I checked the temperature at 8am. Wonder what it was earlier. :p

Meanwhile, back on the topic ...

<< [Nuclear Regulatory Commission Chairman Gregory] Jaczko recommends that American citizens living within 50 miles of the Fukushima nuclear power plant evacuate the area.

"For a comparable situation in the United States we would recommend an evacuation to a much larger radius than has been provided in Japan," he said. "As a result of this recommendation, the Ambassador in Japan has issued a statement to American citizens that we believe it is appropriate to evacuate to a larger distance, up to approximately 50 miles."

Japan's current evacuation zone is 12 to 19 miles.

"We're very close now to the point of no return," Dr. Michio Kaku, a theoretical physicist, said. "It's gotten worse. We're talking about workers coming into the reactor perhaps as a suicide mission and we may have to abandon ship." >>

Things don't look to good at Fukushima. :shocked:

Link

Archived