One way Ticket into LOS

ozpharlap

The rule........without a long term visa, you are required to have an onward ticket within the length of your stay. For example, an American entering with no visa is allowed 30 days in the Kingdom. That American must have a ticket leaving the Kingdom to show the airline before boarding at their first point of origin. Again, that is the rule.

The reality......many times airline agents don't check or don't care about the rules so it is overlooked. On arrival in BKK, how many times have you been asked for your onward travel info by the immigration rep??? That is the reality.

The rule........without a long term visa, you are required to have an onward ticket within the length of your stay. For example, an American entering with no visa is allowed 30 days in the Kingdom. That American must have a ticket leaving the Kingdom to show the airline before boarding at their first point of origin. Again, that is the rule.

The reality......many times airline agents don't check or don't care about the rules so it is overlooked. On arrival in BKK, how many times have you been asked for your onward travel info by the immigration rep??? That is the reality.

Yes, that is the official rule--proof of onward travel--and no, Thai immigration officials at the borders or airports do not seem to care.

Where you're likely to run into trouble with a one-way ticket is at the Western (origin) end of your journey: since the airlines also know the official Thai rule, sometimes they will refuse to let let you board (unless you buy a return ticket on the spot), because if they let you go without a return ticket and the Thais decide that this will be the first time they enforce the law, then the airline will be forced to send you back on their dime.

I've been questioned on this by various airlines (Korean Air in San Fran and China Air in Los Angeles come to mind), but since the questioners were a) Korean and B) Chinese and c) female and cute, and since I'm hansum man, I was easily able to sweet-talk my way out of it, heheh.

Another possible way around this problem (I've had friends who claim to have done this) is doctor up an Air Asia receipt to make it look like you possess an onward ticket out of Bangkok...or, shit, just buy a real Air Asia ticket to Cambodia or Malaysia: I recently bought a round-trip ticket from BKK to Phnom Penh for $48 USD, all-in...

Thanks for the info, I thought as much.

I intend to take off tomorrow night for LOS for some R&R, but was uncertain how long I really want to go for, 21 or 28 days, I get sick of forking out another $100 to Singapore Airlines just because I change my mind. Seems I only get stung for that in LOS, never anywhere else :beer:

:yeahthat:

Oz is particularly strict on this. I am *always* asked for an onward tix there (my visa takes care of the need for that, but they just assume I do not have one).

OP: The only way around this is to have a onward tix (or a long-term visa). You can buy a tix online and then get a refund later -- just check the rules on the refund. Refundable and tix are out there (think TG or SQ on the BKK-SIN route). SQ charges B3400 and TG charges B2000 to refund an unused tix that costs ~B12k...

Thanks for the info, I thought as much.

I intend to take off tomorrow night for LOS for some R&R, but was uncertain how long I really want to go for, 21 or 28 days, I get sick of forking out another $100 to Singapore Airlines just because I change my mind. Seems I only get stung for that in LOS, never anywhere else :beer:

I thought most airlines let you change your return flight without charge? Guess it depends on fare basis and airline.

HH

Archived