Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

American singer-songwriter Lesley Gore, who shot to stardom as a New Jersey teenager and went on to co-write music for the 1980 film Fame, has died in a New York hospital aged 68 from lung cancer.

The Brooklyn-born singer wrote and recorded the hit It's My Party in 1963 when she was 16, after her agent sent a demo tape to legendary music producer Quincy Jones.

The song went to number one on the record charts and sold more than 1 million copies.

Gore's follow-up single Judy's Turn To Cry was another hit, and she continued to record a series of pop songs before leaving high school.

A stand-out song was You Don't Own Me, considered a feminist anthem at the time for telling teenage girls they had rights and should not be controlled by boys or men.

• 2 weeks later...

Leonard Nimoy, a former soldier, dies at 83

Actor Leonard Nimoy, a former enlisted soldier, died Friday at age 83.

Nimoy, who immortalized the science officer Mr. Spock on TV and in movies, wore the Army uniform long before he wore the Star Fleet ensemble for "Star Trek."

He served as a soldier from 1953 to 1955. The Army took him to Fort Ord, California, Fort Benning, Georgia, and Fort McPherson, Georgia, according to a Twitter post from Nimoy for Veterans Day in 2013.

Nimoy had many acting credits before and after his Army days. He was cast to play Spock in 1966, and the show ran until 1969, launching both Nimoy and his character into the icon stratosphere.

Nimoy played Spock throughout much of his career after that, including a cameo appearance in the most recent Star Trek movie, "Star Trek Into Darkness" as Spock Prime while actor Zachary Quinto took the role of younger Spock.

http://www.armytimes...-dies/24123421/

http://time.com/3726337/leonard-nimoy-dead-twitter/

Terry Pratchett, possibly the the greatest fantasy author after JRR Tolkien. It's a sad day when we won't get any more stories from Ankh Morpork or the Discworld. However not unexpected as he was diagnosed with Alzheimers several years ago.

On the bright side, he wrote about 40 Discworld novels and I haven't read them all yet.

For those who haven't read his books and want to start, I suggest starting with the first two novels, "The colour of Magic" and "The light fantastic" to get an idea of what the Discworld is all about. After that it isn't necessary toread them in cronological order.