Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

....but Thalidomide was still used in the USA and the FDA looked the other way! maybe this lady didn't approve the drug,

but she didn't do anything to stop it from being used!!

Regulating Drug Testing in the United States

Although thalidomide was never licensed in the United States, it was distributed as samples to American doctors to try with their patients. It was common practice at that time for drug companies to pass on experimental drugs to doctors, who were then paid to collect data on their patients’ results. Patients did not normally know or consent to their part in this loosely controlled research. The thalidomide tragedy moved Congress to pass legislation to protect patients from medical experimentation without their consent and to require testing of new drugs before their distribution. Dr. Kelsey went on to write the federal rules that continue to govern every clinical drug trial in the United States and was the first official to oversee them. Dr. Kelsey retired from the F.D.A. in 2005 at age 90.

For her part in preventing the distribution of thalidomide in the United States, Dr. Kelsey was awarded the distinguished Federal Civilian Service Medal by President Kennedy on August 7, 1962. In September 2010, the F.D.A awarded Dr. Kelsey, now 96, the first Kelsey Award in honor of her service. The Kelsey Award will be awarded annually to an F.D.A. staff member

Now, this is news to me...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1865433/

One of the worst tragedies in the history of drug therapy began almost 50 years ago, on 1 October 1957, when thalidomide was introduced as a sleeping pill by the firm Grünenthal onto the West German market. The drug, prescribed and sold over the counter as Contergan in West Germany, was launched in almost 50 other countries, including the United Kingdom and Canada, mostly under licence. It had sedating effects and seemed to be well tolerated and without toxic side effects, even in pregnancy. Two years later the link between the pill and serious malformations in newborn babies was discovered. Worldwide, about 12 000 children with limb deformations were born (no cases occurred in the United States because of a stricter drug safety law, diligently administered by the Food and Drug Administration).

At the core of the legal dispute are two questions: how accurately should a fictional television drama based on real events report details of the events and the people involved, and, how far can artistic freedom go without hurting personal rights and feelings?

The film is the story of a young lawyer and his wife whose child is born with malformations after the wife took just one Contergan pill. Together with a doctor in Hamburg the lawyer uncovers the cause of the malformations and acts as a representative for the victims in the court case against Grünenthal. In the film as in reality, the drug was withdrawn by the firm after experts' suspicions were raised in Germany and Australia and published in the German press. Despite being found guilty, representatives of Grünenthal were not convicted of negligence, and the case was dropped when the firm established a DM100m compensation fund for the victims. The German government doubled this sum, and the fund now stands at €204m (£140m, $279m). It provides a monthly income of about €500 to about 2500 people in Germany who were severely affected by Contergan and have no other income...

Must say, even as I am older then the mountains, I was but a very young lad at the time all this took

place but I remember the photos in the newspapers.

I was quite wrong, as I thought the deformities were in the USA, but appears not, from what I posted a

few up.

So it looks like an old dog can still be taught...or at least this old dog :dunno: