No Stick column this week?

TroyinEwa/Perv

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont remember specifics, but basically said he was exceptionally busy the past week and was very busy catching up on stuff, unfortunately he didnt have time to complete the weekly, he did say it would be posted this coming Sunday June 5

Is he running the Bangkok 500 along wit Mekong and youngfarang?

• 2 weeks later...

Just one more thing on this...

When Stickman skipped his column a couple weeks ago, he only announced that there'd be no column on the main Stickmanbangkok home page, but he didn't mention it at all on the page that has the headline/main link to the latest Stickmanweekly column. That left lots of his readers totally in the dark about what was up.

I would guess that many (if not most) people (including me) just bookmark the main StickmanWEEKLY page, not the StickmanBangkok home page. People who are only interested in the column (like me) have no reason to hit the main home page cointaining all those banner ads and links to sections I have no use for. But I guess Stick presumed 100% of people would go there (100% of people never all do the same thing, ever). So it should have occurred to Stick to make the announcement on that main Stickmanweekly page. In fact, if he had made it there, everyone coming from the main homepage would have seen it anyway, since even from the homepage, they need to click thru to the main weekly page in order to get to this week's column. With 10+ yrs experience running the site, it was a clear mistake on his part -- he should know better by now.

When Stickman skipped his column a couple weeks ago, he only announced that there'd be no column on the main Stickmanbangkok home page, but he didn't mention it at all on the page that has the headline/main link to the latest Stickmanweekly column. That left lots of his readers totally in the dark about what was up.

I would guess that many (if not most) people (including me) just bookmark the main StickmanWEEKLY page, not the StickmanBangkok home page. People who are only interested in the column (like me) have no reason to hit the main home page cointaining all those banner ads and links to sections I have no use for. But I guess Stick presumed 100% of people would go there (100% of people never all do the same thing, ever). So it should have occurred to Stick to make the announcement on that main Stickmanweekly page. In fact, if he had made it there, everyone coming from the main homepage would have seen it anyway, since even from the homepage, they need to click thru to the main weekly page in order to get to this week's column. With 10+ yrs experience running the site, it was a clear mistake on his part -- he should know better by now.

Hahaha...with "10+ years experience running the site," he should also upgrade to a look that's at least post 1995...I mean, jesus H. christ!! it's like someone insisting on still only using a tabletop dial phone, and being proud of the fact...!!! LAME.

When Stickman skipped his column a couple weeks ago' date=' he only announced that there'd be no column on the main Stickmanbangkok home page, but he didn't mention it at all on the page that has the headline/main link to the latest Stickmanweekly column. That left lots of his readers totally in the dark about what was up.

I would guess that many (if not most) people (including me) just bookmark the main StickmanWEEKLY page, not the StickmanBangkok home page. People who are only interested in the column (like me) have no reason to hit the main home page cointaining all those banner ads and links to sections I have no use for. But I guess Stick presumed 100% of people would go there (100% of people never all do the same thing, ever). So it should have occurred to Stick to make the announcement on that main Stickmanweekly page. In fact, if he had made it there, everyone coming from the main homepage would have seen it anyway, since even from the homepage, they need to click thru to the main weekly page in order to get to this week's column. With 10+ yrs experience running the site, it was a clear mistake on his part -- he should know better by now. [/quote']

Hahaha...with "10+ years experience running the site," he should also upgrade to a look that's at least post 1995...I mean, jesus H. christ!! it's like someone insisting on still only using a tabletop dial phone, and being proud of the fact...!!! LAME.

That's one reason why I visit his site only every few months. His homepage is a real eyesore. Actually the content is well hidden among the dozens of advertising banners.

I guess it had already been outdated when he designed it. Some really cheap 14 year old boys pseudo underground site look like Stickmans site.

PS: It seems that it is still a simple Html site and neither based on a content management system nor using CSS. I guess Stick has to program new sub pages every weekend...

Hi,

"It seems that it is still a simple Html site and neither based on a content management system nor using CSS. I guess Stick has to program new sub pages every weekend... "

It is, which is why it is too late to change the design now. Changing the design and/or moving to a CMS would require a HUGE amount of work.

Sanuk!

Hi,

"It seems that it is still a simple Html site and neither based on a content management system nor using CSS. I guess Stick has to program new sub pages every weekend... "

It is, which is why it is too late to change the design now. Changing the design and/or moving to a CMS would require a HUGE amount of work.

Sanuk!

I thought so. Moving now might force Stick to re-enter all data manually and of course most current links would be broken. But seeing how cheap labor in LOS is he could easily ask some Thai students to do this for him.

Anyway I had a similar problem recently. I had planned to move a database from Access to Filemaker for a long time. But I postponed it for two-three years knowing that it would be a pain in the ass and would cause a lot of work, since not all data could be moved without a lot of manual labor. - Until the Access database crashed completely and I was forced to move the data within 72 hours into a very, very basic Filemaker database. I didn't sleep much that weekend...

Today I am glad that it happened. Now we are working with a much more comfortable and much more efficient database (which is still not finished - learning by doing...)

Hi,

I agree. While it will be a huge amount of work, it will likely pay of in the future. The longer he waits, the bigger the amount of work. Of course, I can fully understand his reluctance due to the amount of work involved :)

And using 'cheap labour' might just add to the headache to be honest.

Middle ground may be best, use PHP includes for all the headers, footers and advertisement inserts. And use a stylesheet for all the styles (he may be doing this already).

You could probably convert large sections of the site this way by just doing a global search and replace on the current HTML files.

Not perfect, but would allow for easier changes to design.

Sanuk!

Archived