Samsung Galaxy S2

eyebee

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 at Tukcom in Pattaya yesterday (18,500 baht). So far very pleased with it, but it keeps leaking money! Let me explain, I'm on pre-pay 1-2-Call, and with my previous phone, I just had to top it up every couple of months or so (300 baht). But the Galaxy seems to be taking money away every minute, sometimes up to 50 baht an hour. I've tried turning all the networks off, but to no avail. The only thing that stops the money going is "Flight Mode", but with that you can't receive or make any calls!

Anyone got any idea of what's going on?

Hi,

Yep, had the same thing after my wife bought me a new phone. I however am on post-pay. Got a phonecall from AIS last Sunday saying I had ran up a 1,500 Baht bill already (all Internet charges, which I never used before). Luckily they offered to stick me on a promotion this month meaning I 'only' have to pay 700 Baht for the Internet use. Still, 700 Baht down the drain :(

I think it is the WhatsApp messenger application I downloaded and my wife briefly used. It never got turned off!

So, eyebee, check to see if you have any applcations running that are constantly checking the Internet.

Sanuk!

I think it is the WhatsApp messenger application I downloaded and my wife briefly used. It never got turned off!

So, eyebee, check to see if you have any applcations running that are constantly checking the Internet.

Sanuk!

On my iPhone some apps run in the background constantly. For to change this I had to turn off manually in each app features like push notifications, using my location e.g. I guess Android apps do the same.

Thanks for your help guys. I've now changed my plan to what AIS call a "Smartphone package". For 199 baht a month you get 100Mb downloads, 100 SMS, and 1 baht per minute for voice calls. No more money leaking!!

That would indicate that your DLs were the cause of the problem. Better check the rate of the DLs- doubt the problem went away, only that you've already paid for a limited amount. When that cap runs out, bye bye baht again!

Email can cause this as well, when it checks for incoming mail every 15 minutes or so.

Archived