Thinking Of Ditching Microsoft On The Pc

Redbaron

Hi,

"The Mac really is for advanced consumers / techno nerds"

Odd. My feeling is that the Mac is for those people who don't ever need to change stuff, don't need to do anything powerful with the machine. Certainly not for techies, but more for 'artsy' people who really don't know how to use a computer.

Sanuk!

Generally speaking you maybe right, but running filemaker publishing systems, final cut studio work flows, and pre press shops, every one in NZ at least, gave up on WIndows Blue screens and went over to Macs, because then they could get some work done.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I'm stirring

but one a year in this day and age is still too many

I'm reminded of the jokettes that used to go around along the lines of if Microsoft made cars/aeroplanes etc

I run Win 7 inside Bootcamp on my mac and I find it to be a lovely thing, but it took a longtime to get there, Mac OS 9 and Mac Tiger were still better...

But I used to suffer Windows because accountants would alway favour it.

Hi,

Those Windows blue screens are pretty much a thing of the past. Don't even remember the last time I had one, well over a year at least. I'm certainly no Windows fanboy, but Windows has come a long way since Windows 95.

Sanuk!

An older neighbor of my mother recently caught an extremely nasty virus which _encrypted_ the whole hard disk and asked the owner to wire money for to receive a password to decrypt it. It took her months to get the PC running again. This happens only to Windows OS.

Of course the Mac OS isn't that much more secure, but currently there is no reported attack which compromised a

Mac OS without the help of the user (like entering his password for to run the malware). I guess this will change, the only question is when. In areas like Asia or in East Europe there are just not enough Macs for to spread malware.

Hi,

Which just goes to show how unpopular Macs are. Even virus writers ignore them :)

On a more serious note, viri are very easy to avoid. Doesn't take that much knowledge, mostly just common sense and to install a simple app that you can then pretty much ignore. I've not had a virus on my computer in years, and I download my share of games and other apps.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Those Windows blue screens are pretty much a thing of the past.

I thought too until the bloke sitting beside mee got them several times per day. Mind you he's running Windows 7 on a new computer with a 64 bit CPU.

The blue screens aren's as common as they used to be but they still exist.

regards

ALHOLK

but you are a techo, you know about computers, most lovely people have no clue, they expect computers to work like toasters, press button - it works! they don't expect to have to run rear guard actions to maintain the security of their installation.. :)

Archived