any suggestions for fun restaurants ???

donaldenta

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baioyke (sp) sky hotel is a fun buffet, (400bht, not including drinks) and you get to go to the top of the tallest building in Thailand! I think it is the 7 or 9th tallest in the world, I could be wrong though. Also, the local girls love Vientiane kitchen on soi 36. Open air place, traditional Issan music and dancing, balloon tricks from a guy in a clown suit, and you can sit on the floor Issan style! Good food, dinner for 5 with beer and a to go meal was 1800bht. Some of the dishes were "interactive" that is, there was some fire, and cooking at the table, fun times there. I love that place and usually eat there several times each trip.

vertigo (open air restaurant on 60+floor on westin banyan tree hotel

dinner cruise on chao phaya river

hands free restaurant (galaxy)

golden dragon (huge restaurant with various shows and waiters on roller skater)

collosseum (huge restaurant on sukhumvit with life band)

phor khun phao (huge open air seafood restaurant on rachadapisek)

Guest lazyphil

When we were back living in Pakkret we used to go to this unusual seafood restaurant, it consists a large concrete pond full with HUGE tiger prawns, you get a small fishing rod and line for 80 baht per hour, whatever you catch is yours. They will cook it up for you. The pond is surrounded by tables and chairs with a large TV playing sports. Very popular with local Thais.

I highly recomend this place, quite unusual, great fun and a friendly place.

Its a few hundred feet up from Major cinema at Pakkret, a cab from downtown takes around 30 minutes or take a taxi boat from one of the piers.

Beware these little muthas fight hard!

I've been to the 'flying chicken restaurant', but can't remember where it is exactly. I will try to find out. They have a spring-loaded catapult device that fires the chicken and it gets caught by a guy on a mono-cycle and wearing a spiked hat. Entertaining, but the food wasn't so exciting as I recall.

Remember, that's the Baiyoke 2, NOT the original Baiyoke, that is one of the world's tallest. My almanac lists it as the 18th tallest in the world, but since 9/11, that's been bumped up to 16th tallest, (the WTC counted as two, as do the Petronas Towers in Malaysia). Actually there are 4 categories of tall buildings, and the Petronas Towers only hit number one in ONE of them: Height to top of building.

For the other three categories:

Height to tip of antenna: WAS the WTC, don't know what it is now.

Height to highest occupied floor: The Sears Tower in Chicago, Illinois.

Height to roof of building: The Sears Tower in Chicago, Illionois.

The Sears Tower beat out the WTC in those last two categories even when the WTC was still standing. These categories are internationally recognized and by the U.S.-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitats. "The Straight Dope" has some good articles on tallest buildings, including a good one on North Korea's bogus claim.

Oh, and we HAVE eaten in the restaurant in the Baiyoke 2. The BEST view of Bangkok, and not very expensive. Buffet-style. We recommend it. The restaurant is not at the VERY top, but prety close, something like the 75th or 78th floor. You can go up to the very top to an observation deck, but it was late when we finished eating and so went home. Haven't had a chance to go back yet.

In reply to:

I've been to the 'flying chicken restaurant', but can't remember where it is exactly. I will try to find out. They have a spring-loaded catapult device that fires the chicken and it gets caught by a guy on a mono-cycle and wearing a spiked hat. Entertaining, but the food wasn't so exciting as I recall.

I remember reading somewhere that this restaurant is across the street from the "Royal Dragon" Restaurant (Which is supposed to be the largest restaurant in the world). Can anyone confirm or deny this story, and while they're at it give us the name of the place? Any restaurant that is strange or unusual is definately on my short list of places to eat...

-=/NN

Archived