any suggestions for fun restaurants ???

donaldenta

I remember reading somewhere that this restaurant is across the street from the "Royal Dragon" Restaurant (Which is supposed to be the largest restaurant in the world). Can anyone confirm or deny this story, and while they're at it give us the name of the place? Any restaurant that is strange or unusual is definately on my short list of places to eat...

Yes, it's all true! Royal Dragon restaurant is the world's largest, at least according to the plaque from the Guinness Book of Records - I am surprised they haven't been 'gazumped' by now though. The 'Flying Chicken' restaurant (I think that is actually the rather imaginative name!) is indeed on the other side of Bangna and they serve the chickens exactly as described earlier. I have a card scanned with the details and a map in Thai. E-mail me if you want me to send it.

As someone said, the food's not the best but it is a laugh, it's cheap, they also have a bit of song/dance show by local orphaned schoolkids who perform to pay for their education, from (unreliable) memory. That is fairly weird too!!

LG

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A long time ago (about 20 years) I had an aquaintance that traveled often to Thailand. He told me about his favorite resturant. He said that it was like a grocery store where you got a shopping basket and picked out your food and paid for it at check out. Then you sat at a table, gave the food to the waiter and told him how you wanted it cooked. At this time, I do not remember where in Thailand this resturant was. Does anyone know of anything like this?

donald enta

Check out the thread on seafood places.

This is the Seafood Market on Soi 24. Same deal going on there. I was supposed to go Sat. night, but will visit tomorrow night instead.

The place is huge, a tourist attraction, and features very fresh seafood (there motto is 'if it swims, we have it'). It can be pricey depending on what you throw in your basket and if you have a taste for wine. As stated, you go to checkout with your basket of goodies and they ring up your bill. Then, you tell them how you want everything cooked. You can even go watch it being cooked if you like as they use open-air kitchens in the front of the place.

A must for first-time visitors to BKK!

A lot of the sea food places operate like this. You pick out the food, and then tell them how to cook it. But that is only limited to the seafood, anything else comes from the kitchen. The place I mentioned (Versallieas) did it the same way. You go up with a basket, and pick out the fish you want, then they recomend how to cook it. Or they have a bookk with pictures, and you can ask for a particular dish. The good thing is, this place is (was maybe) all you can eat!! They were also very friendly to the girls! (some places aren't so nice). mIf you go into the basement of Robinson's Department store on Sukhumvit around Soi 19 or so (?) they have some sort of hot pot type place where you get food and cook it at your table. Also a chain called MK or something. I forget the name, but sevreal places around. Go and Enjoy! Let us know!!

mIf you go into the basement of Robinson's Department store on Sukhumvit around Soi 19 or so (?) they have some sort of hot pot type place where you get food and cook it at your table. Also a chain called MK or something. I forget the name, but sevreal places around.

No, you're right MK Suki is the name - the place in Robinson is a (small) branch of the same chain. Bigger ones in most of the shopping malls. Good fun, communal cooking and eating and personally I think it is really tasty food. Similar idea as Daidomon where you grill all your food in the middle of the table and the Mongolian BBQ places which are somewhere in between in that you are cooking your meat and fish in the middle and the juices are running into a moat to make a soup where you cook your noodles. Bloody clever, those Mongolians.

LG

Long Gun,

Where are the Mongolian BBQ places now?

I used to go to two over on Soi Langsuan, but they closed some time ago.

I really enjoy Mongolian BBQ.

Also, I really enjoy Mongolian women, but that is another story. smile.gif

Add the Coca chain to the list of places similar to MK and Daidomon.

Same idea of you choosing your own food and cooking it at your table. This would be a real downer alone, but is big fun with a group, especially if the group includes a selection of Thai girls who tend to take over the cooking and feeding operation quite naturally.

Archived