Iphone 4S To Be Available On Oct 15

dave32

I'm not sure about this voice interaction 'siri' thing they're promoting as the new great functionality. I don't like having phone conversations with people, let alone having conversations with the phone itself (I text almost everything now, even at work, it's great way to filter out bullshit).

I do like what they've done with the camera. The 1080 offered on video, and the image stabilization, along with the improved horsepower under the hood with the new chipset. And it looks like this one is ready for world travel and you won't need to unlock.

Hmmmm... to iPhone or to Android. That is the question.

http://www.youtube.com/apple#p/u/0/SFfm2uQbaLM

I didn't even bother with upgrading to iPhone 4, still sticking with my pair of trusty 32 GB 3GS, IOS 4 runs perfect on them and I have been test driving Beta Version of IOS 5 for a couple of weeks now on one of them and it runs fine.

I will wait until the New iPhone 5 is released, probably within the next 8 months before upgrading hardware.

I've now got the 4, having relegated my 3 to the ex wife and my 3GS to my soon to be new squeeze.

The 5, I think will be good, but with all new things, I'll wait a year until the jailbreaking community has matured it's approach and the apps are all updated.

And it took so long to get the 4 to where I want it, I'm not sure I want to spend a week, nutting out the new issues, the new software will inevitably present.

IMO, save yur $$$... :dunno:

Apple gets no love from Wall Street for new iPhone

New iPhone packs voice recognition and other sci-fi upgrades, but investors not spellbound

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Apple-gets-no-love-from-Wall-apf-3347407557.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

The most closely kept secret about the iPhone 5? There isn't one -- yet.

The new iPhone is faster, has a better camera and allows you to sync content without needing a computer. It includes a futuristic, voice-activated service that responds to spoken commands and questions such as "Do I need an umbrella today?" It will now be available to Sprint customers as well as those from AT&T and Verizon Wireless.

But there's a catch. Apple named it 4S when most people were expecting the iPhone 5. Immediately, tech bloggers and Apple fans alike began to wonder if this new iPhone was not as cool as they had hoped. Investors were disappointed, too. Apple's stock fell more than 5 percent before getting a late bump...

Have they fixed any of the myriad shortcomings? (Well they are to me anyway) On the stock device that is.

Text auto re-wrap on zoom

De-linking the vibrate function from the sound function

Syncing to multiple devices

Access from a pc other than through iTunes

mp3 for ringtones

Er Flash

Having the settings with the app rather than some funky separated menu

There were a couple of others but they might have been me.

Have they fixed any of the myriad shortcomings? (Well they are to me anyway) On the stock device that is.

Text auto re-wrap on zoom

De-linking the vibrate function from the sound function

Syncing to multiple devices

Access from a pc other than through iTunes

mp3 for ringtones

Er Flash

Having the settings with the app rather than some funky separated menu

There were a couple of others but they might have been me.

The new iPhone hardware and the new iOS software are different matters.

For the new iOS you don't need a new iPhone. Some basic information the upcoming iOS 5 http://www.apple.com/ios/features.html

The new iPhone is rather bland. Of course it has better hardware, but this is to be expected from _every_ new model by any maker.

It is the first time in years that Apple doesn't offer a new design.

Until now almost every new Apple device made the previous model look old, which means many people really wanted to have the new model, even if it was just for the looks, its freshness and hipness.

This time neither the buyer will have the great feeling to own a new and extremely well designed piece of hardware, nor will the others know that you are the owner of a brand new Apple device...

This might be a sign that Apple is losing its Midas touch. For the first time Apple is NOT surprising the consumers with something completely unexpected and beautifully designed.

I wonder if, Job's illness aside, this might be a second reason why he retired from Apple. The iPhone 4S was probably the last device he was fully responsible for.

I will skip the iPhone 4S.

I have just update my iPhone 4 with the new iOS 5.

So far I came across three improvements:

- finally you can sync your iPhone wireless to your PC

- you don't need to sync/backup your iPhone with a PC anymore. All data can be synced with iCloud, Apple's new cloud storage service. iCloud can also be used to sync data between different apple devices. BUT it offers only 5GB of free storage space. I haven't checked the details, if the 5GB storage limit is for all data or only for data (music, e.g.) not purchased at the Apple Store. Since I don't buy music nor my many audio books at the iTunes store I won't use it.

- two style function for email: bold and underline.

The most important innovation for the iPhone: Siri, the speech assistant, is exclusively for the new iPhone 4S.

By the way. iOS5 is officially available from October 12, but the final version is already available online:

http://lifehacker.co...ios-5-right-now

(it's no hack, but the official release version)

Archived