Stick....should know better

sinsin2

Don't know if any of you saw it, but there was an article a number of months ago in The Big Chili about some Pattaya residents who were conned by documentary makers. The producers of the show claimed to understand the scene and so on but when the show aired it was 180 degrees the opposite of what the poor guys in Pattaya thought it would be like.

Beware!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any sanukers should be wary of journalists because no matter what blarney they give you the only likely result is a huge stitch up.

The media in every single Western country is totally in the hands of 'politically correct' liberal/left thinkers who despise single male travellers to LOS and want to label us all as sleazy sex tourists.

The best result you could hope for is the sort of mild humiliation/ piss-take that Louis Theroux did with his BKK expose last year.

Beware of elephant traps.

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: Mart_UK ]

yeah, all you guys posting on these boards are only interested in culture and the beaches of thailand. no one would ever think about ever touching one of the girls...

seriously, there are some very nice people on these boards, but also a lot very twisted sad existences, who would fit exactly into the stereotype of fat perverted sextourist.

a little bit of selfcriticism would be on order, there is no brotherhood of sanukers misunderstood by the whole world.

it ranges here from party animals who would never do any harm to any girl over to lonely guys who need that scene to survive mentally and to some sickos you would never ever leave alone with your children.

who knows, maybe that journalist wants to do a honest reportage, there are some who actually do. but just generalising that every journalist is out to cheat everyone is as stupid as generalising all sextourists/sexpats/occasional hedonists as perverted sickos.

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: flyonzewall ]

Your post was DEAD ON simie!!!

I do believe that the French honesly are

more sexualy open minded. I'm not sure that's good.

If a production were dead on fair in it's assesment or even if the scripty were writen and directed by us here at nanaplaz.com . That would be the worst thing to release to the mass public. I would actually prefer more ill light, it keeps the jones's going to mexico or some damn thing. I don't wan't

positive insight being spread that broadly!

quote:

Originally posted by simie:

Bohica, the websites and message boards you mentioned generally are looked at by people who have already been or made their mind up to go. Documentaries on TV are going to be seen by loads of "normal normans". Who may be watching with their wives and amongst such people these programmes just add to the sort of image which this Thai government seem to want to get rid of. It may also light a spark of interest in some male viewers. I agree these programmes have no effect on hardened sex tourists, but thats not the group I was talking about in my post. These sorts of programmes do nothing but harm to Thailands image abroad, or the image that the government would like to project. And this is only likely to lead to further crackdowns.

Cheers Simie.

quote:

Originally posted by AussieDoug:

Old Hippie, you have to be joking, no so called journo ever let the truth get in the way of a making money story, i would not touch this proposition with a barge pole. Now would I let any bargirl get involved in it either.

Actually, I was sort of kidding here, about a "non biased documentry". Vertually all documentars are biased one way or the other. I should have put a smile face or something there. But I was serious when I said "...the trouble is telling the difference..." Which basically means, how do we know the true intention here? has anyone seen any of this person's work? his he true to his word, or will it be another ambush hatchet job?

Reguardless of how this guy goes about it, it is up to the public to interpret the information in their own (often preconceived) manner. There have been many "exposes" on LOS over the years, weather one more will make a difference or not, is speculation. However, if the PM and other politicos are hell bent on distruction, why give them more fuel for the fire?

quote:

Originally posted by flyonzewall:

yeah, all you guys posting on these boards are only interested in culture and the beaches of thailand. no one would ever think about ever touching one of the girls...

seriously, there are some very nice people on these boards, but also a lot very twisted sad existences, who would fit exactly into the stereotype of fat perverted sextourist.

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: flyonzewall ]

Fly. That's exactly what the medias say all the time. So, ok, for some to do their self-criticism if you want, but i don't know why we should not be tired of possibly hearing maybe the 1000th media report on lonely, selfish white men going to LOS, or being treated as such, as it will anyway...

quote:

Originally posted by pattaya127:

Fly. That's exactly what the medias say all the time. So, ok, for some to do their self-criticism if you want, but i don't know why we should not be tired of possibly hearing maybe the 1000th media report on lonely, selfish white men going to LOS, or being treated as such, as it will anyway...

because when it is the 1000th media report saying the same thing all over it won't make a difference whatsoever, also i don't think that viewers in the west can't be pulled out of their lethargy by a reportage about something they think they know anyhow. also i believe if the filmmaker tries to do the same old thing no production house will give him the money to do that film, no channel will give him the airspace. they could have it a lot cheaper cutting it together from old material.

recently a novel playing in that scene got into the bestsellerlist, so there is hightened attention to thailands nightlife scene in europe.

if someone is smart one can direct to a certain extend the way how such a documentary will look like in the end. it is very common to make contracts before giving interviews. if they film maker is not willing to do that i would smell a rat. either he is a poor freelancer, or, much worse, the production house is not willing to honor their word. it is important to find out beforehand to get all the details and also to check them.

it is also very important to get a list of questions before the interview, set parameters of the line of questions. and most important to think about every single answer, not just blabber away stupid things. but then, as you know yourself, some of posts on the boards here i would call at least borderline sick and really do fall into the stereotype of western loosers. for example the constant western women bashing, esp. some of the reasons given there are at best ridiculous. if these guys are interviewed in a documentary, you can imagine how it will look like in the end. but fortunately there are a lot of guys in the nightlife who do not fit into the stereotype, if they would give interviews the documentary could become very good, could show some reality. a journalist can only work with the material which is provided to him.

people should give him the benefit of doubt, find out what it is about, and then judge. very simple, one can't judge by insufficient data.

quote:

Originally posted by flyonzewall:

recently a novel playing in that scene got into the bestsellerlist, so there is hightened attention to thailands nightlife scene in europe...

....people should give him the benefit of doubt, find out what it is about, and then judge. very simple, one can't judge by insufficient data.

That novel is not famous because of the subject (unlike US, most europeans know about Pattaya and sex trade in LOS, nothing new to discover really) but because the author has already achieved fame with his previous iconoclastic, provocative, self-loathing prose. If you mean the french author HOUELLEBECQ. It probably inspired some people to once again have a docu on the scene, since it's a french production and the author is french, and sex sells, but I can only assure you that the problem is not the docu itself, but the damnation of the farangs portrayed in it EVEN IF THEY COME OUT AS DECENT GUYS as the media will attack the film maker for finding excuses to men who can only be but depraved self-indulgent loosers.

Anyway, how about a docu by someone who's done the deed, rather than being outside looking in. You know that there's no way to explain the feeling of thai female company in a thai environment until it's being experienced personally. It's impossible to be meaningful til' you grasp that aspect of things, IMO.

quote:

Originally posted by aussiejohn:

Hi Guys, I'd say the best option here is still the bargepole,LOL. --aussiejohn

Well said! I can't imagine the final documentary portraying it's subjects in a good light, no matter what the guy says. He's not the person that has the final say on what goes out anyway. I'm surprised anyone would take the chance of trusting a journalist out to make a name for himself. Anyone taking up this offer has only themselves to blame for the consequences.

Any publicity for the sanuk scene is only going to make non-sanukers look even more unfavourably on frequent Thailand travellers than they already do, and may even cause the Thai government to push further crackdowns.

I can't see anything good coming out of this at all.

Archived