What Will Happen To All The Sandbags?

StoneSoup

OK, gents. So - the "mother of all floods" that was supposed to inundate all 50 districts of Bangkok with 1.5 meters of water did not materialize - at least for 20-30 districts.

Those "dry" districts have hundreds of thousands of sandbags - and many square km worth of hasty brick-works walls erected - all soon to become discards.

So - what happens next to that immense volume of debris??????

The unfortunate answer that first leaps to mind is: all the simpleton Thais will simply haul their sandbags and brickwork debris to the nearest khlong - and do a pathetic "loy khratong" simulation.

I say that comically - but - unfortunately - unless the BMA gets its ass in gear and starts vigorously developing an alternate solution - it is VERY likely to unfold that way.

The quantity of soon-to-become-useless sandbags in Bangkok is staggering - it must approach at least 500,000 - and maybe several times that number.

"Civic responsibility" not being a strong-point for many Thais - I foresee a minor nightmare developing in this direction.

Does anyone have a more favorable view of the likely outcome?

Cheers!

SS

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be acquiring a large stockpile of them in time for next years predicted even worse flooding, apparently. Having evacuated our house with 3 metres of water in the yard, at least half a metre in the downstairs and the loss of everything that entails together with 2 cars, all of which we were assured by the 'experts' were safe I vow never to be in this situation again. I plan a minimum 3.5 metre sandbag wall at openings and re-enforcements to support walls vulnerable to the weight of water together with a 5kW or more generator and sufficient pumping capacity to eliminate any future risk to our 150 sq wah plot.

Donations of sandbags welcome.

I will be acquiring a large stockpile of them in time for next years predicted even worse flooding, apparently. Having evacuated our house with 3 metres of water in the yard, at least half a metre in the downstairs and the loss of everything that entails together with 2 cars, all of which we were assured by the 'experts' were safe I vow never to be in this situation again. I plan a minimum 3.5 metre sandbag wall at openings and re-enforcements to support walls vulnerable to the weight of water together with a 5kW or more generator and sufficient pumping capacity to eliminate any future risk to our 150 sq wah plot.

Donations of sandbags welcome.

You lost your cars?

You lost your cars?

I'm kinda guessing they will be a total loss. Certainly not covered on the otherwise comprehensive insurance and with them being almost completely submerged it's hard to see how they might be recovered, at least not without extensive rebuilding if at all.

Yingluck says the worst is over, so no more worries. Plodprasop say about 80% to 90% of Thonburi is going to be flooded. Pick which one you want to believe. :p

I will believe Plod in this case :p

A huge part of West Bangkok is flooded already. Up to Nakhon Pathom! so it seems logical it will go. Meanwhile water at Kasert. Wonder how much closer it will get!

W

Archived