Meditation Bowls?

hawaiijohn

Long shot request - last time I was in Chiang Mai, I discovered a small shop that sold metal bowls, mostly from Nepal and Tibet, that you struck with a padded mallet and would make a bell like sound for several seconds. I didn't have room in the suitcase to bring it back (the best bowl was fairly big, salad bowl size, with a deep resonant sound) and would like to try to find one in Bangkok on this trip. Have anyone ever run across a place that sells this kind of item? I won't be there for the Chatuchuk weekend market which would probably be the place I'd start, so will have to try to find it during the week. Any suggestions?

Try a shop on Sukhumvit and about Soi 11. I forget the name, but has a lot of stuff from Burma (and, I think, Nepal). I picked up a few replica temple bells there a few years back that gave a similar effect to which you describe with the bowls. I swear, I was afraid the sound was going to break a window. 55555555555

HH

Long shot request - last time I was in Chiang Mai, I discovered a small shop that sold metal bowls, mostly from Nepal and Tibet, that you struck with a padded mallet and would make a bell like sound for several seconds...

So how does this work? Presumably you place the bowl upside down on top of your head and then hit the outside with the padded thingy and the sound resonates around the inside of the bowl? fighting0029.gif

Long shot request - last time I was in Chiang Mai, I discovered a small shop that sold metal bowls, mostly from Nepal and Tibet, that you struck with a padded mallet and would make a bell like sound for several seconds. I didn't have room in the suitcase to bring it back (the best bowl was fairly big, salad bowl size, with a deep resonant sound) and would like to try to find one in Bangkok on this trip. Have anyone ever run across a place that sells this kind of item? I won't be there for the Chatuchuk weekend market which would probably be the place I'd start, so will have to try to find it during the week. Any suggestions?

You can get from Amazon...suggest you order through the link here on thai 360 (helps support the board) http://www.amazon.com/Exquisite-Tibetan-Singing-Striker-Sati/dp/B0035P6J98/ref=pd_bxgy_misc_text_c

HH

So how does this work? Presumably you place the bowl upside down on top of your head and then hit the outside with the padded thingy and the sound resonates around the inside of the bowl? fighting0029.gif

Munchie...don't waste your money. You can get the same dull thud by just striking your head with a mallet...though some would argue the sound resembled an echo. :rotl::scared:

HH

Archived