Watching Partial Content

khunsanuk

In the last 20 years of watching my ex, watch the Thai soapies, I have come to a conclusion, it's like me watching a fishing program, it's the same every time, go fishing, catch fish, be happy.

For the lasses it's an affirmation, of what they know is true, good guy and good girl will triumph in the end, seeing it over and over again but with different clothes and settings, just serves to make things right in their world.

JMHO

Years ago Thai movies were cranked out at about one or two a week, since TV had only a few channels - all B&W. No cable either, so movies were the main form of entertainment. I read that the biggest audience for these films was in rural areas, so that is what they were aimed at - simplistic, formulaic, slapstick and slightly erotic . I expect that TV soap operas are intended for the same audience as those films were - the unsophisticated country folks. 

As I said before , i got a full blast soapies last week and without understanding anything except the occasional ka I could fully follow up the story . It is mostly a bad mooded mother in law with a temporarily mislead but principally good-hearted son and a permanently crying lass from somewhere . In the end they marry and everybody adores each other .

True, not a lot of joy in Eastenders, but it is at least realistic, even if a months gritty realism is condensed into every episode. TBH I enjoy watching it and get it on BBC Entertainment here. :up:

in my frieds bar all work stopped when Emmerdale was shown on the TV.

i got to know roughly when it was going to be showing and ordered a drink in advance,the staff would just downed tools while the programme was on.

i was amused at the reaction of other patrons who had no idea what was going on.

Archived