Watching Partial Content

khunsanuk

Hi,

My wife's niece is home today and is watching a soap at the moment (what else :( ), but the odd thing is that she is watching an episode somewhere in the middle while not having seen the ones before and she may not see the ones after, yet she is totally engrossed in it anyway.

Have seen this many times before here. Same with watching a movie that's already been playing for 30 minutes or more.

Just seems odd to be why you would want to watch something like that as I doubt it will make any sense.

(Okay, in the case of those Thai soaps I don't it'd matter that much, they are pretty much all the same :) ).

Sanuk!

Years ago I was helping give the nationwide university entrance exam. I was to play a tape for the listening comprehension section. I handed out the answer forms and went back to the desk to wait for the time to start the test. Quite a few would-be students immediately began marking the answers on their sheets.. Uh ... how could they answer the questions when they hadn't heard them yet?

Thailand is a puzzlement.

Guest lazyphil

Hi,

My wife's niece is home today and is watching a soap at the moment (what else :( ), but the odd thing is that she is watching an episode somewhere in the middle while not having seen the ones before and she may not see the ones after, yet she is totally engrossed in it anyway.

Have seen this many times before here. Same with watching a movie that's already been playing for 30 minutes or more.

Just seems odd to be why you would want to watch something like that as I doubt it will make any sense.

(Okay, in the case of those Thai soaps I don't it'd matter that much, they are pretty much all the same :) ).

Sanuk!

KS you have a track record high lighting thai soaps being awaful, thats fine, no arguement. however, try watching an episode of the uks very finest ...'EastEnders'....without wanting to cut your wrists with a sharp knife. pure misery.

Hi,

I have no doubt of that :)

There's something similar in Holland called 'Goede tijden, slechte tijden' (good times, bad times); been going for 15+ years as well and is just as crap.

I think all of these soaps - regardless of country of origin - are garbage.

Sanuk!

KS you have a track record high lighting thai soaps being awaful, thats fine, no arguement. however, try watching an episode of the uks very finest ...'EastEnders'....without wanting to cut your wrists with a sharp knife. pure misery...

True, not a lot of joy in Eastenders, but it is at least realistic, even if a months gritty realism is condensed into every episode. TBH I enjoy watching it and get it on BBC Entertainment here. :up:

Hi,

"Does anybody think that watching this type of soaps depends on the intellectual capacity of the watcher ?"

I used to think the same thing, but the husband of one my friends is an avid watcher of these soaps and he's a stockbroker. One would assume he isn't intellectually challenged :)

Of course, he could be the exception :)

Those soaps (all over the world) certainly do seem to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Sanuk!

Does anybody think that watching this type of soaps depends on the intellectual capacity of the watcher ? In other words : would better educated Thai citizens watch them same same ?

I don't think so. But I think, if better soaps would be offered some/many Thai might migrate to the higher quality soaps. IMHO it has more to do the quality of the local entertainment industry. In Germany 95% of the soaps and other series like crime are crap as well (unfortunately I can't remember the good 5% dunno.gif). Currently almost all good series seem to come from the USA and I only watch those.

Archived