Thai Bar Girl, Now My Wife

think_too_mut

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30'000 THB per month for unskilled labor in Thailand? make a reality check, TTM!

Those working for Seagate, Hitachi and Western Digital in Ayuthaya are "internally qualified", meaning trained for their particular role in the manufacturing process. Those skills can be taken to another HDD manufacturer or Sony, Canon where precise elecronics are made.

Hence, they are not unskilled, off the street, any more.

In 1998. a disk factory in Taiwan engaged unskilled cheap labor, they introduced dust particles and made millions of HDDs prone to failure. There were data loss situations daily, at the expense of whoever sold the equipment containing those drives. Could be 3 million US$ in cost to replace them worldwide, let alone down time and data loss. Since then, no HDD manufacturer risks that to happen to them. One more occurrence and they are out of business. That is why their workers are not retrenched easily and are paid better than in say, cement factory.

Now, that they have significant backlog (20% of world HDDs were not made due to Thai floods in 2011) there could be 30K earnings left right and center in those factories.

One thing little known to general public: disk drives that come with PCs, they are junk, nobody makes money off them. Real disks are Fiber Channel, each is 4,000$, with their own operating system (microcode).

Everything serious lives on those disks, banking, airlines, telcos. There are arrays with 1000s of them where live data lives, could be 1 million of those SCSI servers around the world.

Consumer electronics disk drives are more like a key ring that goes with the real thing.

because of the recent fire wiping out the plant (again) following the months of downtime after the flooding?

yup severe problems atm...

According to a executive veteran from a big storage systems company, Toshiba has decided not to pursue disk assembly in Thailand anymore - resulting on around 4,200 employees losing their job - and to transfer all the production - mainly 2.5-inch HDDs - in China and the Philippines.

Real disks are Fiber Channel, each is 4,000$, with their own operating system (microcode).

Like when has Microcode been an OS :dunno:

It's just a High Level Machine Code on Par with Assembler, been used in Control Systems since before I entered the game over 30 years ago.

According to a executive veteran from a big storage systems company, Toshiba has decided not to pursue disk assembly in Thailand anymore - resulting on around 4,200 employees losing their job - and to transfer all the production - mainly 2.5-inch HDDs - in China and the Philippines.

Yep, another final nail in the coffin without a doubt.

Except the "executive veteran from a big storage systems company" apprently did not actually know about the deal that was being made.

Its all about geting the EU Commision to approve Westerns' Hitachi GST acquisition

TH

Toshiba swaps flood-soaked Thai plant for WD disk bizWill that make the European Commission happy?

By Chris Mellor Posted in Storage, 29th February 2012 11:48 GMT

It's as if we were tipped off: Toshiba is buying the 3.5-inch disk drive operations that WD has to sell to gain EU approval for its Hitachi GST acquisition.

At the same time, Toshiba is transferring to WD its flood-ravaged HDD manufacturing subsidiary in Thailand, Toshiba Storage Device (Thailand).

Western Digital said: "TSDT manufactured hard drives but has not resumed operations after the recent Thailand flooding. The principal assets of TSDT are its Thailand property, facilities and employees... WD plans to integrate these facilities and employees into its Thailand operations."

The financial terms of the two agreements were not disclosed and the hope is that the entire WD-Hitachi GST-Toshiba group of deals will close in March. WD faces a $250m penalty payment to Hitachi GST if the acquisition deal does not close by 7 March.

Toshiba gets:

•Manufacturing equipment and IP for desktop PC drives, DVRs and other consumer applications

•Manufacturing equipment for nearline drives for servers.

The entire deal is subject to WD's Hitachi GST acquisition being approved by the relevant antitrust authorities. If consummated it will enable Toshiba:

to supply products covering all segments of the HDD market. It will also expand Toshiba's supply capacity in the market for near-line HDDs, which is expected to expand with the continuing growth of the server market, further reinforcing a strategic segment of the company's HDD business.

Toshiba will consolidate its HDD manufacturing at a plant in the Philippines and a contract manufacturing site in China. It said it aims "to establish itself as the leading provider of integrated storage solutions - the company that has all three key storage solutions: NAND flash, SSD and HDD."

Roughly speaking, the HDD industry will divide into three players in a 40-40-20 split: Seagate will have 40 per cent of the business, as will Western Digital, leaving Toshiba with 20 per cent

I wish to make an apology to the OP (think too much) - I've had a chance to reflect on what I said - and I agree that it was reprehensible and ill-advised. I recognise that such comments are extremely hurtful and what is more there is no excuse for them - especially given that we commune here in a special form of trust. Let me take back what I said.

I wish to make an apology to the OP (think too much) - I've had a chance to reflect on what I said - and I agree that it was reprehensible and ill-advised. I recognise that such comments are extremely hurtful and what is more there is no excuse for them - especially given that we commune here in a special form of trust. Let me take back what I said.

Now that is absolutely the correct thing to do - even better on the board rather than by PM.

I agree that it was reprehensible and ill-advised.

You're being kind of rough on yourself now. :) We're supposed to be hard on each other, not beat up yourself! Glad you got a reprieve of sentence. Kinda jealous, you got the coveted banned status for awhile, thus granting you street credibility.

Been here for a couple years and still haven't been banned, god knows I've tried. How lame is that? I'll be branded a sycophant.

Bastards.

:)

Archived