What We Love About Thailand

panadolsandwich

I don't want any smart-assed replies to this thread - 'like the gentle bobbing of a cute girl's chin' type of stuff.

In fact I would like to hear about the food - the wonderful language, the culture - you know that type of thing. Perhaps not I caught a gulp of water on the water taxi then died of pestilent fever type of thing either. I think you know what I mean. Or the baht appreciated and my pension fund run out. I don't want this thread - to be demeaned by the would be lonely planet writer - I think we can safely say we all hate them. Let's just bask in the bliss and remember those happy moments when the taxi driver with the gold tooth speaks impeccable Isaan and calls you Sir when he drops you of - where he is sure you are going to be ribaldly served - and you have no reason to disappoint him. I mean those - those happy times. Or when you called room service nonchalately and received a banquet for under 300 baht, complete with serving companion. Share with me for once those moments - where the sun glistened off your upturned fork and you 'minded those heydays.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What We Love About Thailand ?

Ok, I'll dip in the water first.

Basically, what I love about Thailand is that it is the opposite of what I have here in the west.

Mentality, weather, prices.

All what I see here is introvert, in Thailand it is all extravert.

At least for me.

YMMV.

BB

What We Love About Thailand ?

Ok, I'll dip in the water first.

Basically, what I love about Thailand is that it is the opposite of what I have here in the west.

Mentality, weather, prices.

All what I see here is introvert, in Thailand it is all extravert.

At least for me.

YMMV.

BB

Great comment - it was the 'otherness' of Thailand that fascinates me. Keep writing. I'm intrigued by the extrovert part...

West Europe mainly because of the climat lives indoors, specially behind closed doors and shutters and spy the world from the safety of their house, neighbours never talking to each other, etc.....

Thailand on the other hand lives outdoor, you are hungry ? you want food ? lets go and eat ?

When I visit the neighboorhood of my in-laws in BKK, streets are barely wide enough for a car, families are outside, kids play together, everyone knows each other and is always there to help each other, just 2 separate worlds to me.

Just a point of view.

BB

West Europe mainly because of the climat lives indoors, specially behind closed doors and shutters and spy the world from the safety of their house, neighbours never talking to each other, etc.....

Thailand on the other hand lives outdoor, you are hungry ? you want food ? lets go and eat ?

When I visit the neighboorhood of my in-laws in BKK, streets are barely wide enough for a car, families are outside, kids play together, everyone knows each other and is always there to help each other, just 2 separate worlds to me.

Just a point of view.

BB

Absolutely right - there's no danger of going hungry in Thailand - they cook outdoors in the regional areas a lot of time and it makes a lot of sense - and I think that they are perhaps one of the most generous - in fact they are the most generous people I know. You definitely don't get that in the West. Well Said BB.

I probably like the fact that almost every taxi ride is an adventure. A older taxi driver the other day was very uptight at first. After speaking in Thai for a few minutes, he completely relaxed and explained that he almost never stops for Farangs. He can't understand what they say and then they get angry him! As a result, he ignores foreigners when they try to flag him down. Maybe that explains why some taxi drivers will pass you by.

Yesterday after conversing in Thai for a while, I spoke a bit of English to a driver just to tease him. He grinned from ear to ear and replied in correct but limited English. He then told me (in English) about the 3 years he was "Robin Hood" (illegal) in Washington D.C., working as a busboy. He just wanted to see the US for a while, not stay there. When he'd seen enough, he came home.

Almost every time I take a taxi in Bangkok, I learn something about Thailand. One driver told me how he has to be careful how he dresses. If the red shirts think he is a yellow shirt, they will beat the crap out of him. The reverse happens with the yellow shirts. Muslim drivers have told me how they hate Thaksin for the "hundreds of Muslim deaths" they blame him for. A red shirt driver told me how he would like to kill Abhisit and make Thaksin PM for life, gesturing accordingly.

A retired police captain who came up through the ranks told me both the good and the bad about the Thai police, explaining how hard it was to be an honest cop with so many others who are corrupt.

A taxi ride in Thailand is an education. You couldn't get it anywhere else, certainly not at any university. Non-Thai speakers are missing out on a lot. 

i'll go with the line that we tell other people.

i do love the laid back way of life,people are rarely in a hurry and many are so relaxed.

i love the weather,i like the heat and even the rain.

the food is wonderful and tastes even better when freshly cooked in front of you.

and being able to walk amongst the vendors and pick out what you want to be cooked freshly is so good.

the people are mainly so friendly and if they can will do as much as they to help you with problems/enquires.

make friends in a lot of different types of businesses and they can be a great help.

i know many people who have never been to that part of the world cannot understand the attraction of SEA,i just wish they could visit and see what the area is all about.

Its that feeling ,when the airport doors open and your hit with that draught of hot ,humid air ,of being in another world or a parallel universe.Maybe this wears off after a while for the long term expat ?

Never wears off on me Yow. I mind the fetid air and the pollution like a mine field everytime. Whilst I should caution you that it isn't the thing you love most about Thailand - I'll let you off because it's probably the thing that made the largest impression on you.

Thanks for the great comment!

i'll go with the line that we tell other people.

i do love the laid back way of life,people are rarely in a hurry and many are so relaxed.

i love the weather,i like the heat and even the rain.

the food is wonderful and tastes even better when freshly cooked in front of you.

and being able to walk amongst the vendors and pick out what you want to be cooked freshly is so good.

the people are mainly so friendly and if they can will do as much as they to help you with problems/enquires.

make friends in a lot of different types of businesses and they can be a great help.

i know many people who have never been to that part of the world cannot understand the attraction of SEA,i just wish they could visit and see what the area is all about.

I know exactly what you mean. There is almost an insouciance to thier style but it's also so petite and charming. Thanks very much for your comment!

Archived