What We Love About Thailand

panadolsandwich

West Europe mainly because of the climat lives indoors, specially behind closed doors and shutters and spy the world from the safety of their house, neighbours never talking to each other, etc.....

It's not just Europe. I get the sense that Thailand is a life-saver for some. In a spiritual sense. And I'm not talking religion. The introvert vs extrovert comment you made earlier was good. I like that.

For me Thailand is raw and visceral, it's a challenge and a mystery. And that's not romanticizing or seeing it through rose-tinted glasses, IT IS a challenge and a mystery. And there's certainly ugliness wrapped up in that along with the beauty.

But for me you nailed it -- in the west we're all armchair experts, surrounded by structure and the illusion of safety, whittling lives away as pretend kings of pretend castles, while life slips by outside. In Thailand -- it's just on. It's raw, and you....

I don't know.

Oh, and I like the fucking women. Yep.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, it starts when the plane taxis to a stop and everyone stands up - thank God thats over - but it really only kicks in when I finally get through Immigration and pick up my bag.

have to agree.

i arrive at Swampypoon and now where i have to go for my connecting flight so i have time to walk outside and have a cigarette and take in the heat and enjoy it.

i don't really find BKK airport a problem but Phuket airport is so different.

as soon as you are through all the immigration and customs you are just besieged by taxi touts and they really piss me off.

they grab me as i try and walk outside and just relax for 10 minutes and you still get hassled when sitting down outside.

i normally arrange for my Hotel to send a taxi for me but sometimes the Thai Hotel staff get it wrong and nothing turns up.

but the official taxi service is cheaper option for a ride to my hotel but as you can imagine busy with many passengers wanting a taxi.

but i just queue up,pay the fee and wait for my ride and no hassle.

i arrive at Swampypoon and now where i have to go for my connecting flight so i have time to walk outside and have a cigarette and take in the heat and enjoy it.

I gotta quit smoking. Haven't gotten around to it yet. But speaking of having a smoke -- I smoke less in Thailand. Here at home it varies, depending on stress and bullshit projects at work - but up to half a pack a day if I'm up late working on something. In Thailand it's two or three total, only in the evening, because as soon as I light up, that combo of the heat and smoking makes me want to go take a nap. Serious. I have to go sit down somewhere.

btw - Another thing to love about Thailand, haha, the 'beautiful decor' on the cigarette packs. ;) The first time I bought a pack at 7-11 I just thought: wtf is this???

Always bring several packs back for friends, even non-smoking ones.

photo.JPG

I gotta quit smoking. Haven't gotten around to it yet. But speaking of having a smoke -- I smoke less in Thailand.

btw - Another thing to love about Thailand, haha, the 'beautiful decor' on the cigarette packs. ;) The first time I bought a pack at 7-11 I just thought: wtf is this???

i remenber being in a bar in Dubai and a couple sat on the same table as me and i noticed their pack of smokes and knew they had been to Thailand and i started a conversation and my thoughts turned out to be true.

they were quite horrified at the images.

i tend to smoke more in Thailand because of the price and as i am not a morning person i need to kickstart my lungs after a few hours sleep.

so 3/4 cigarettes and copious amout of very sweet coffee help me get ready for the day.

and a nice way to wake up and relax at my window just watching the world go by.

I remember when those cigarette packs came out. They were dubbed "the happy family" packs. I heard of people actually having trouble taking them out of Thailand. Apparently, embarrassed staff at the airport didn't want other countries to see them. :)

At least they haven't gone to the extent of sticking similar warnings on packs of condoms yet. Wouldn't a photo of a nice drippy dick get you into the mood. :p

post-98-0-52371500-1335195848.jpg

Our government is currently brawling with Big Tobacco over new laws to make those images much larger and remove their branding from the packaging. I dont smoke, so I dont take much notice, but its just bizarre when you see cartons at Duty Free with those gruesome images plastered everywhere. I find it curious that the only people who aren't disturbed by the imagery or the endless 'Quit' ads are smokers ......

I've never seen the statistics on smoking-related deaths in China, but I can only assume the numbers must be escalating. There were days when I walked out of my hotel and it seemed like everyone over the age of eight had a fag in their gob. :ohmy:

YES, YES, YES !

For me, it starts when the plane taxis to a stop and everyone stands up - thank God thats over - but it really only kicks in when I finally get through Immigration and pick up my bag. Walking out into that chaotic Arrivals Hall and seeing all those people holding signs - so many Thai faces all peering at each new arrival. Off to the taxi stand, get the coupon and surrender yourself to the city - absolutely nothing like it for me. Anyone who has seen the movie 'Inception' will know the fantastic music that accompanies Di Caprio's return to LAX and his journey home to his kids - that is the music I plan to have in my ears when I walk out to get my baggage in 2014.

YES, almost the same. For me it's when I sit in the cab. The way from the airport is the perfect initiation to BKK. It starts fast and easy until it ends in the chaotic hustle at Suk road. During the ride it the time when I really arrive in LOS, taking the images of the city in, thinking about the days and nights ahead. cheerleader.gif

Kamui, I agree wholeheartedly that the drive down the 'highway' is a highlight. Its the anticipation, and I'm filled with a certain wonder that all those skyscrapers - all that brilliant fluorescent/neon glow - sits over a 'village' which (at street level) Jim Thompson would still recognise. The hi-so shopping malls might be the image many Thais want to display to the world. but for me its the millions of transplanted rural folk giving the city a heart that's still beating ferociously long after the gleaming malls have closed for the night. Good, bad, whatever - they all contribute to the feeling that you're not in Kansas any more. I've been in BKK when there is a mass exodus to the provinces for a holiday, and its a shell of its vibrant former self. It can be enormously frustrating to get anywhere in Bangkok, but its usually well worth it when you arrive. Viva the Big Mango !

Archived