What We Love About Thailand

panadolsandwich

I probably like the fact that almost every taxi ride is an adventure. A older taxi driver the other day was very uptight at first. After speaking in Thai for a few minutes, he completely relaxed and explained that he almost never stops for Farangs. He can't understand what they say and then they get angry him! As a result, he ignores foreigners when they try to flag him down. Maybe that explains why some taxi drivers will pass you by.

Yesterday after conversing in Thai for a while, I spoke a bit of English to a driver just to tease him. He grinned from ear to ear and replied in correct but limited English. He then told me (in English) about the 3 years he was "Robin Hood" (illegal) in Washington D.C., working as a busboy. He just wanted to see the US for a while, not stay there. When he'd seen enough, he came home.

Almost every time I take a taxi in Bangkok, I learn something about Thailand. One driver told me how he has to be careful how he dresses. If the red shirts think he is a yellow shirt, they will beat the crap out of him. The reverse happens with the yellow shirts. Muslim drivers have told me how they hate Thaksin for the "hundreds of Muslim deaths" they blame him for. A red shirt driver told me how he would like to kill Abhisit and make Thaksin PM for life, gesturing accordingly.

A retired police captain who came up through the ranks told me both the good and the bad about the Thai police, explaining how hard it was to be an honest cop with so many others who are corrupt.

A taxi ride in Thailand is an education. You couldn't get it anywhere else, certainly not at any university. Non-Thai speakers are missing out on a lot. 

Very good Flashy - now continue, please don't stop writing....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Have heard similar comments from taxi drivers (re farang) and like Flash I too have met some very interesting taxi drivers. Some that stuck:

- a stockbroker who lost his job in the '97 crash

- a guy who'd worked on the railroad for 40 years

- a guy breeding shih tzu's

- a one-armed taxi driver (shifted gears with his right hand!)

- a guy in a full metal cage (the drivers' seat was completely barred off from the rest of the taxi)

I also like that I can have very good food for very low prices. It's my wife's b'day tomorrow and we'll be going to a simple restaurant close to our home. There'll likely be about 10-12 people and I very seriously doubt the bill will exceed 2,000 Baht. The food will be plentiful and delicious though.

Completely impossible to do this in the West.

There also seems to be a bigger sense of community. When 'our' son did his monkhood stuff ('buat'), almost all the women in the small hamlet spent 2-3 days preparing food. No payment was expected, just the knowledge that it would be reciprocated when they were the ones throwing a party.

Sanuk!

It's not my place to care so much, I don't live by the rules, never have and never will. Well that's not to say that I have no rules. It would be more true to say for instance that I don't make the rules. That I simply disregard them - that could be true. And you need too - nothing is more of a drag on you.

I'm like Flash - I can talk to taxi drivers but that doesn't necessarily mean I can talk to you.

Here's to you you, to keep the stories coming - I'm watching you in the rear view mind - lol.... I want real stories mind... and we can continue...

Hi,

Have heard similar comments from taxi drivers (re farang) and like Flash I too have met some very interesting taxi drivers. Some that stuck:

- a stockbroker who lost his job in the '97 crash

- a guy who'd worked on the railroad for 40 years

- a guy breeding shih tzu's

- a one-armed taxi driver (shifted gears with his right hand!)

- a guy in a full metal cage (the drivers' seat was completely barred off from the rest of the taxi)

I also like that I can have very good food for very low prices. It's my wife's b'day tomorrow and we'll be going to a simple restaurant close to our home. There'll likely be about 10-12 people and I very seriously doubt the bill will exceed 2,000 Baht. The food will be plentiful and delicious though.

Completely impossible to do this in the West.

There also seems to be a bigger sense of community. When 'our' son did his monkhood stuff ('buat'), almost all the women in the small hamlet spent 2-3 days preparing food. No payment was expected, just the knowledge that it would be reciprocated when they were the ones throwing a party.

Sanuk!

Yeah I've had similar benificence. It's truly remarkably the playfulness and indeed the generousity of the greater Thai public, and I feel it's largely unacknowledged. The community is all encompassing too. Thanks for your very kind comment... Also keep writing!

Yeah I've had similar benificence. It's truly remarkably the playfulness and indeed the generousity of the greater Thai public, and I feel it's largely unacknowledged. The community is all encompassing too. Thanks for your very kind comment... Also keep writing!

I'd love to here about the shih tzu's, you don't post enough yourself you know khunsanuk - which is an enormous shame. You should you know.

In Chiang Mai the sky was brilliant - I'll never forget that feeling where I realised I loved her. To me that Makes Thailand,beautiful exotic and worthwhile. But the stupid bitch never realised the story I'd written her. Anyhow - just before it rains here - please take care as she always says lol...After all you can never be too careful - jesus is that a complete sentence mmc? I'll let you decide.

One of the original members from the first Nanaplaza board (pre-Delphi) on completely quit the internet a few years ago because he was being stalked by someone he pissed off on another board. The stalker was trying to find out his real name, where he lived, where he worked, details about his family etc. Who knows what he planned to do.

p.s. No, this was not Stickman. It has happened to several people I know.

One of the original members from the first Nanaplaza board (pre-Delphi) on completely quit the internet a few years ago because he was being stalked by someone he pissed off on another board. The stalker was trying to find out his real name, where he lived, where he worked, details about his family etc. Who knows what he planned to do.

I take what you are saying on board - and I truly sympathise.

I wonder how this thread went from the wonder of Thailand to this!

Come on guys we can do better than this! Don't some of you have something to say about the generousity of the ppl? The beauty of the food - or the richness of the culture? Christ?

Archived