Sim Cards Deals With Internet

The_Munchmaster

Early July I will be travelling back to the UK for a couple of months or so, so I've been surfing to find what SIM card deals are available with internet included.

Vodafone have plenty of deals including 90 day ones which all include various anounts of "internet", e.g., £26 per month, 700 mins, 750MB internet and unlimited texts + bonus 750MB BT Openzone Wi-Fi Access.

What I want to know is what does 750MB internet actually mean, i.e., what does it equate to in terms of web surfing time, if indeed it can be equated to web surfing time?

Also presumably the 750MB internet is effectively 3G, i.e., you don't have to be in a wi-fi zone to access the internet? Was that a stupid question?

Any help appreciated. :up:

750 MB refers to total data transfer downloads and uploads either Wi-Fi or 3G.

750 MB / Month should be OK for just surfing but once you start looking at Youtube videos etc you could quite easily go over that limit quite quickly. You also have to be aware of the charges for exceeding your limit, even at 5p / MB if you exceed by 750 MB you will have an additional 37.60 Quid charge. If you use your tablet to access online news, magazines etc this can also use up a large chunk of your limit

Personally I would go for an "Unlimited" option if available at a reasonable cost, but read the small print as to the "Reasonable Usage" Terms and Conditions.

If you need a contract for Mobile Phone and Tablet look for a "Dual SIM" option, not sure if available in UK but can get here in Thailand. One Number hence one account but 2 SIM Cards, saves the hassle of changing SIM from Mobile to Tablet and thereby missing a call or tethering your tablet to your Mobile, which if using Bluetooth rather than a cable connection slows down your data transfer rate.

750 MB refers to total data transfer downloads and uploads either Wi-Fi or 3G.

Are you sure about the "Wi-Fi" bit - I don't believe that is counted at all against your limit.

I'm in the USA for a few weeks - got a 3 gbyte data plan for 30 days at USD 25.00 (AT&T). Only planning on being here for 2 weeks and last I checked was at the 1 gbyte level after 5 days.

Mostly emails but there was some YouTube videos for my son while waiting at the airports.

Cheers!

If the phone connects to free or paid for WiFi, it does not go towards that limit. The 750 would be 3G.

All depends how much you use the thing, mine gives me 1.5GB and it's plenty for me, as I usually access it while at home on the WiFi. When I'm on the road however I use a fair bit more.

Are you sure about the "Wi-Fi" bit - I don't believe that is counted at all against your limit.

Cheers!

PM

Wi-Fi depends if you are using on if you are either

1. Using Wi-Fi on Home or Private Network
  2. Using a Wi-Fi "Hotspot" from your Service provider or another SP they have an agreement with

In case 1 of course no charge, in case 2 it will count towards your limit since it is via the SP, Wi-Fi hotspots are just another way to sell the consumer bandwidth, thats the way it works here anyway.

Since you are currently in the states you are probably connecting to Non SP networks, many places there now offer free Wi-Fi and your iPad will ask you "Which Network" and of course you choose the free one

If the phone connects to free or paid for WiFi, it does not go towards that limit. The 750 would be 3G.

All depends how much you use the thing, mine gives me 1.5GB and it's plenty for me, as I usually access it while at home on the WiFi. When I'm on the road however I use a fair bit more.

When you have frequent access to Wi-Fi, like at home/hotel and at work, 750 MB data should be sufficient. But if your phone/tablet is your major tool for to access the internt - in my experience - 750 MB won't be enough, even without watching Youtube or using other data stream services. Recently I had WiFi at work but not at home and used up 1 GB in around 3 weeks (Google, reading newspapers, email, Google Maps, e.g., but no streaming).

When you have frequent access to Wi-Fi, like at home/hotel and at work, 750 MB data should be sufficient. But if your phone/tablet is your major tool for to access the internt - in my experience - 750 MB won't be enough, even without watching Youtube or using other data stream services. Recently I had WiFi at work but not at home and used up 1 GB in around 3 weeks (Google, reading newspapers, email, Google Maps, e.g., but no streaming).

Exactly kamui,

As the OP indicated in his first post it appears that "Mobile Data" will be his primary means of connection and as such even 1,5GB / Month may be cutting it fine even for moderate usage, I am not fully up to speed on Android but I do know that if running an IOS Device with "Location Services" Enabled you can soon eat up most of your limit whilst you may think you are offline.

I was impressed with "Customer Service" at AIS last week, I was in head office Soi Ari area to pick up some paperwork and decided to pop down to Second Floor to discuss the dual SIM option. The customer support I received was top notch, she asked me simple questions such as

Phone Call Usage

SMS Usage

MMS Usage

Data Usage.

Based on what I told her she recommended I went from 700 Mins / Month Talk Time, 250 SMS and 50 MMS / month with 1.5 GB transfer which was 599 (about 15 Euros) / month onto the 899 (22.50 Euros) / month unlimited data package so now I can leave both IOS devices online 24/7 without the fear of additional charges. She even asked me about International Phone calls and I said no need I use Skype, well that will work out cheap for you was her reply just stay connected via 3G, she even went as far as offering to show me how to install Skype on my IOS Phone and Tablet, I was like "No Need to Darling, I already Have" very rare to come across customer service to that level in Thailand, she impressed me.

I was impressed with "Customer Service" at AIS last week, I was in head office Soi Ari area to pick up some paperwork and decided to pop down to Second Floor to discuss the dual SIM option. The customer support I received was top notch, she asked me simple questions such as

Phone Call Usage

SMS Usage

MMS Usage

Data Usage.

Based on what I told her she recommended I went from 700 Mins / Month Talk Time, 250 SMS and 50 MMS / month with 1.5 GB transfer which was 599 (about 15 Euros) / month onto the 899 (22.50 Euros) / month unlimited data package so now I can leave both IOS devices online 24/7 without the fear of additional charges. She even asked me about International Phone calls and I said no need I use Skype, well that will work out cheap for you was her reply just stay connected via 3G, she even went as far as offering to show me how to install Skype on my IOS Phone and Tablet, I was like "No Need to Darling, I already Have" very rare to come across customer service to that level in Thailand, she impressed me.

Kong,

I have the same package with a SIM in my phone and tablet, just beware the data is unlimited, not the 3G. After 2 or 3 GB, depends when you signed up, it will drop back to Edge rate, apparently. Still works for me. The only thing I would like is SMS and MMS functionality on the second SIM. Haven't yet grasped why that isn't done.

Kong,

I have the same package with a SIM in my phone and tablet, just beware the data is unlimited, not the 3G. After 2 or 3 GB, depends when you signed up, it will drop back to Edge rate, apparently. Still works for me. The only thing I would like is SMS and MMS functionality on the second SIM. Haven't yet grasped why that isn't done.

Ah, yes, the usual scam by German mobile phone providers. They offer a data "flat rate", but in fact usually after 1-2 GB of data used the connection is bottled to Edge speed and becomes unsuable for Google maps e.g..

To be honest 2-3 GB / Month at 3G speed is enough for me, I don't use my tablet as an entertainment centre whilst away from home base (Wifi Connection) and many destinations I go to have free WiFi anyway. When sat in the back of a Taxi in a BKK Traffic Jam I am either using the tablet in "Offline" mode reading saved files or editing documents and of course the occasional fun of getting to the next level of Angry Birds.

Archived