Anyone Got A 3D Printer ?

gobbledonk

THey are super cool toys, no I don't have one, and think it will be a while yet but once they hit about $400-US I'm going to be mighty tempted. Printing a dildo hadn't crossed my mind but come to think of it...!

I do know a couple of people considering them as a good way to do mock ups and prototyping. Just wondering what, other than make your own sex toys, they are going to be useful for around the home.

Google 'criminals and 3D printing' - early days yet, but its clear that they can see the potential of being able to build a replica from a design without the need for a machine shop or someone with the skills to use that machine shop. I dont think the medium (nylon ?) is sufficiently strong to make weapons per se, but you can build a larger clip for an existing weapon:

3D-printed-magazine.jpg

To me, it seems like a forgers wet dream, even if the technology still has a way to go before you can start printing drivers' licences etc. Its old news that organised crims and assorted other predators can gather a mountain of info from social networking sites and use it for their own nefarious purposes - with the right bots and some clever coding, you could automate identity theft on an industrial scale. ATM skimming is so passe - the Russian mob isnt going to waste time with small bikkies when they can be selling complete identities at tens of thousands each. Need a 'passport' to show the boys in brown if they stop you in the street ? No problem.

Welcome home, Mr Cobb.

Archived