Facebook F*cks With My Privacy

Coss

Ever wondered why some of us don't like face book?

Ever wondered what Zuckerboob is doing with your information?

Ever given face book your credit card info?

I maintain a "null" account with face book, under an assumed name with no info in it.

So there I was, looking at the FOX movies schedule for Thailand, (FOX, the outfit from America, with the comedy news shows) and lo and behold, Fox is asking me (as my assumed name) for participation...

Who the hell sold my info to FOX? It wasn't me. Must have been face book...

So imagine if I had all my photos and family info and friends and lovers and co-workers and so on, on my face book account... FOX would presumably have that too.

I don't want FOX to have any of my info.

And to those who say you can opt out, The whole concept is and should be - opt in...

Hi,

While I am no fan on Facebook either, the above isn't accurate I think.

What is more likely is that Fox has included a Facebook applet which pulls data from Facebook (note the 'Facebook social plugin' line). The Fox website does not have direct access to anything in that applet.

The reason it showed you there is because you were logged into your Facebook account.

Sanuk!

You are more than likely right, but, and this is a big but, what's to stop them putting a Facebook applet into their accounting/subscription department's intranet? If they'll do it right out in public, what are they doing where I don't see things?

I am sure that facebook's terms and conditions run to: "all your info is mine".

any hoo, here's another breach, by Googly no less, what ever happened to "don't be evil" ?

Google 'faces $22.5m fine over Safari privacy breach'

Hi,

"what's to stop them putting a Facebook applet into their accounting/subscription department's intranet"

Doesn't work that way. The Facebook applet is a stand-alone plugin that doesn't really interact with the page in which it is embedded. Any information you provide to that applet stays within Facebook.

What you see is the result of you being logged into Facebook and visiting that page. If you were logged out, there would be no mention of Coss Wibble on that page. If I - or a Fox website admin - were to go to the page, again there would be no mention of Coss Wibble on that page.

"I am sure that facebook's terms and conditions run to: "all your info is mine"."

No doubt about that. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw Zuckerburg, and I am a wimp :)

"what ever happened to "don't be evil" ?"

It got replaced with "Show me the money!"

Sanuk!

Hi,

"what's to stop them putting a Facebook applet into their accounting/subscription department's intranet"

Doesn't work that way. The Facebook applet is a stand-alone plugin that doesn't really interact with the page in which it is embedded. Any information you provide to that applet stays within Facebook.

My point I guess is that they didn't ask me if I wanted to be on the FOX page, even if it's only me that sees it. So what else are they not asking me ?

Orwell

I know I'm complaining like a ingenue, I really dislike the lies that the various marketing departments of the world tell us.

"Banks are honourable, as are Bankers", "We will never disclose your information to anyone", "I will buy every farming family, in every village, a cow".

Rant over :)

1342586907[/url]' post='1381960']

I am not too happy with Fartbook's "recently viewed" page, telling the world what I have been reading in the news. Why the hell is that there?

It's all symptomatic of the world's inevitable stampede to the bottom of the lowest common denominator demographic.

(them, not you) :)

As I posted months ago, I deleted my account and havent missed it for a single second. I suggest you do the same, and should this not be in 'Technology' or 'Bored Bar' ???? . Thai authorities may be responsible for a mountain of injustices, but I dont think we can blame them for Facedork.

Archived