Thai Hypocrisy At It's Best

Mekong

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mekong, unless I am reading this wrong, the Thais who voted are agreeing with you?

CF

‘I would hate to be charged more than a resident if I visited the Eiffel Tower.’ Should the local two-tier pricing scheme be stopped?

They would hate to be charged more in France and what it stopped there

Hi,

Do they not realize that Dual Pricing goes on under their own noses in their own backyard?

Considering that in most places it is blatantly obvious, I can't imagine they are unaware of this. More likely is - as you say - a case of hypocrisy. Not that any of them would accept either the hypocrisy or logic involved though.

Sanuk!

I might be a bit thicker than usual today, been a hectic week but here is how I read it.

'I would hate to be charged more than a (Paris) resident if I visited the Eiffel Tower.’ Should the local (Thailand) two-tier pricing scheme be stopped?

95.6% say yes, the local Thailand double pricing should be stopped.

No news here, old story really, sure we all thought that way from the first time we came across it.

The article does try to make some weak excuses for why some of it happens, temples, Buddhism, heritage and such but overall I got the impression it was just another expression of dissatisfaction at double pricing, and rightly so of course.

Most of my Thai colleagues do not realise that national parks etc double price for foreigners. They have expressed surprise at being told of our encounters with it.

My university also will not allow foreigners to take part in the co-op's "share" programme, which pays 10% interest on deposits! The co-op is always handing out premiums as well, which we cannot have. We just watch the Thais run around happily with their goodies, A cute little Thai archan said to me one day, "Go to the co-op and get your free luggage. They are handing it out today." I told her I couldn't have any, since I'm not allowed in the share programme. She looked surprised and asked, "Why not? You work for the university the same as we do." Didn't matter. Some effing bureaucrat years ago decided that the foreign devils would not be allowed to contaminate their money with our own.

Still, I suppose I should be happy we are allowed to keep any money in the co-op. Some well known Thai universities insist that foreign lecturers be paid into a private bank account, not the university's own. Separate but "equal", Thai style. 

I might be a bit thicker than usual today, been a hectic week but here is how I read it.

'I would hate to be charged more than a (Paris) resident if I visited the Eiffel Tower.’ Should the local (Thailand) two-tier pricing scheme be stopped?

95.6% say yes, the local Thailand double pricing should be stopped.

RM

I disagree, the "Local" refers to Locals of Paris, nothing to do with Thailand two tier system

Archived