Phone Network Upgrade In S. Pattaya?

gawguy

What is the status of mobile phone networks in Pattaya? I’m back here after 3 months away. I use a ZTE SIM modem to connect to internet in my room. I have used it for two years, but this time something is different. The speed is a little faster. It’s not glamorous, but considering how slow it has been in the past any improvement is really appreciated.

I’m using a DTAC internet SIM. In the past the ZTE program always displayed “EDGE†as the connection. Now it flip-flops back and forth between two other kinds of connections. Sometimes it says UMTS and sometimes HSDPA. I don’t have a smart phone so I don’t know much about any of this. I have looked online and considering these connections it seems that 3G may be coming into my room now. I live near the Day and Night Hotel in S Pattaya.

I also searched see that there are more “Gâ€â€™s than I thought. I have seen references to 3.5G and 3.9 G. I just thought there were 2, 3, 4 G networks.

So what is going on? Have they upgraded the networks in my area? If so, would a different Internet SIM modem be faster than the one I have? Like a DTAC modem.

And what is this thing:

A 3G Wireless Router - for GSM,HSDPA,HSUPA,CDMA,EVDO modem

http://community.siamphone.com/linkout.php?out=http://www.abaret.com

They say you can run a hotel’s internet with it in a remote location. I have a couple of laptops so something like that might be a lot better than just plugging one internet SIM into one computer

Enough for now.

Thank you,

Gaw Guy

EDGE is second generation data 2G. UMTS is 3G and HSDPA allows higher speeds in a UMTS network sometimes called 3.5G

Thank you RMan,

I still have a hanging question - would it help to get a different Internet SIM modem? I use DTAC network and I've heard good results from DTAC SIM modem? Anyone have experience with that or an answer? These little dongles aren't cheap so I need to know before I plunk down a little pile of cash. After all, I have one that's working fine now, but...

Went to Speedtest.net and result was: Ping 140, Download .59 Mbps, Upload .20 Mbps.

I haven't explored everything but I don't think I'll be able to watch youtube at those speeds. I'd really like to make calls on Skype from my room. In the past I've always had to go to an internet shop for these things.

What do you think? Can I get a better speed with a different modem?

Thanks,

GG

I have just done a speedtest now in North Pattaya using AIS on my iPad.

Ping 45mS, D/L 7.59Mbps, U/L 0.92Mbps

What I like about AIS is the fact that I have 2 SIM's on the same account one for the iPhone and the other in the iPad, unlimited data and only 1,200 Baht / Month.

No need to change your "Dongle" just get a SIM from another provider and give it a try, there has to be a 7-11 or a Familymart within 2 minutes of where you are now so go and get a pre-paid and give it a shot.

The network performance is likely to be very variable. best do a sample of speed tests from slightly different locations over a day or two to see if it varies. using google maps and accessing the internet with your sim card modem should give you an idea of which base station your are connecting through. Number of users and amount of traffic is going to influence speed, but so is the backhaul load and on upstream to wherever the server is that you are testing to. Choose a local server to get a fair assessment of what the local system can provide.

Certainly worth trying a different service provider sim in your modem to see if you can get better rates with another carrier. Be warned though that not all modems support all networks. The TRUE 3G test system is on 800MHz and not all phones and modems support that.

I would want to see a performance improvement demonstrated before changing the modem. I can see how some might offer better performance but verifying the improvement is the only way to know if it works better for you.

All of the big three networks offer multi sim card packages so you can have several devices, phone, tablet, modem each with their own SIM card but all tied to the same number so you only get one bill. Typically only the SIM card in your phone, the primary will handle voice and sms whilst the others are data only.

if you mainly need a stable connection in your room your're limited to the local signal conditions & as you have shown it's improved but not the best there as 3G/HSPA doesnt seem very strong & thus you wont get the max & often times loose the connection as it switches back and forth between the 2G/3G/3.5G cell towers!

nothing you can do to improve it by buying a new modem unless it includes a much better antenna!

BUT since you are lucky to have the 800MhZ band for DTAC & True(Real Move) 3G you could try out a 50BT true sim to see if that improves & if then go for an internet package with them!

if still out of luck, but if your modem also supports the 900Mhz 3G band that AIS uses then give their sim a try too!

so yes clearly the 3G networks are speading around the country (in fact it's more or less nationwide in major cities by now) & the upcoming 2100Mhz international standard 3G licenses scheduled for later this month is bound to bring the networks further along the 3.5G->4G direction ... BUT of course given this is LOS better bet on what we have today than what might come tomorrow :D

BTW be sure to mention 3G when you get a new SIM as sometimes it wont be activated/allowing 3G data (only GPRS/EDGE)!! (True Move prepay only 2G, Real Move prepay 3G)

unlimited data and only 1,200 Baht / Month.

I haven;t heard of that type of account before, interesting. I notice when I last checked all the big providers here AIS, DTAC & True were very deceptive with their use of the word "Unlimited" regarding 3G.

If you look at the small print (and it usually is very small) the unlimited works like this. You pay for a limited amount of data transfer over a period say 1GB,3GB or 5GB) then the account automatically switches to EDGE speeds unlimited on the 3G network until the billing period is up. Not exactly unlimited in some peoples view.

Also to the o/p note DTAC only has 3G on 850Mhz so your modem needs to be capable of it, otherwise it will just run at EDGE speeds on 900Mhz.

I haven;t heard of that type of account before, interesting. I notice when I last checked all the big providers here AIS, DTAC & True were very deceptive with their use of the word "Unlimited" regarding 3G.

If you look at the small print (and it usually is very small) the unlimited works like this. You pay for a limited amount of data transfer over a period say 1GB,3GB or 5GB) then the account automatically switches to EDGE speeds unlimited on the 3G network until the billing period is up. Not exactly unlimited in some peoples view.

Also to the o/p note DTAC only has 3G on 850Mhz so your modem needs to be capable of it, otherwise it will just run at EDGE speeds on 900Mhz.

Good point. I think the package I have from AIS, that touts itself as unlimited data is indeed 2 or 3 GB at 3G rate then reduces to EDGE rate. Interestingly when that happens the device still shows the 3G identifiers 3G, H, U etc. The phone display does not revert to E. The package runs about 850 or so a month and includes 300 minutes domestic talk time across all networks, 300 SMS and 50 MMS. I have an additional SIM card tied to the same number and the same package for my tablet that runs an additional 1200 baht a month. bit hazy here as I just sign the forms. Someone else pays :)

Good point. I think the package I have from AIS, that touts itself as unlimited data is indeed 2 or 3 GB at 3G rate then reduces to EDGE rate. Interestingly when that happens the device still shows the 3G identifiers 3G, H, U etc. The phone display does not revert to E. The package runs about 850 or so a month and includes 300 minutes domestic talk time across all networks, 300 SMS and 50 MMS. I have an additional SIM card tied to the same number and the same package for my tablet that runs an additional 1200 baht a month. bit hazy here as I just sign the forms. Someone else pays :)

That's typical misleading marketing by the phone providers not only in LOS: they sell unlimited data but throttle it to unusable Edge after a certain amount Megabyte used.

This is the OP with more ignorant questions.

How do you pay for the upgrades and data plans? Can you just pay as you go at mini-mart or Tuk Com, or do you have to register, give bank account and other personal info? I'd like to avoid that.

I get offers from DTAC, but they are in complex Thai. I've always just gone to mini-mart to buy top up, stuck the internet sim in my dumb phone and added the money.

I don't have a plan or an account, I'm not ID'd and I'd like to keep my privacy. I don't know about any limitations on amount of data this way - are they there but I haven't run into them? Am I paying a lot more this way? What am I missing out on?

The only thing I can't do smoothly now that I would like to do is watch videos and I can live without that.

Thanks for all the input.

Gaw Guy

Archived