How Safe Is A Digital Room Safe?

Lusty

Getting back to the vid, my experience has always been that 'locks only keep honest people out'. That said, any member of the hotel staff silly enough to start breaking into safes / taking wallets from rooms etc has to know that their days are numbered, so that leaves us with working girls. Katoeys aside, I just dont believe the majority of the girls are bright enough to even try to get into a hotel safe - I havent read a single report of anyone being ripped off in that fashion.

I've never seen a safe with the mechanical "doorknob" dials that these use in the hotels I've stayed in in Bangkok. All of the ones I've seen use motorized locking pins.

The only time I've seen an in-room hotel digital safe go through a code reset procedure, it took a special tool, that looked like a radio programmer, to do it. (That was at Royal Benja some years ago.)

Getting back to the vid, my experience has always been that 'locks only keep honest people out'. That said, any member of the hotel staff silly enough to start breaking into safes / taking wallets from rooms etc has to know that their days are numbered, so that leaves us with working girls. Katoeys aside, I just dont believe the majority of the girls are bright enough to even try to get into a hotel safe - I havent read a single report of anyone being ripped off in that fashion.

Me either. In my days with embassies I never heard of this from a "visitor." Unless you pas out dead drunk, they dont have the time. I have heard of staff going through safes, but like you said, they dont last long and esp in places like BKK they will never work again.

The only time I've seen an in-room hotel digital safe go through a code reset procedure, it took a special tool, that looked like a radio programmer, to do it. (That was at Royal Benja some years ago.)

I lost the key to one once, they had to get a bloke with a drill about 1" in diameter and about 1' long to drill the f**k out of the lock for 20 minutes. My passport was inside you see....

Yo Coss - how bad is Laos for property crime ? I read something on a Cambo expat board that claimed that getting broken into in PP (private dwellings, not hotels) was a matter of 'when', not 'if'. Not terribly encouraging, but given the poverty level not entirely unexpected. Havent read anything similar about VT or anywhere else in Laos - like all things, I guess you dont really know till you live in a town for a few months at least.

Yo Coss - how bad is Laos for property crime ? I read something on a Cambo expat board that claimed that getting broken into in PP (private dwellings, not hotels) was a matter of 'when', not 'if'. Not terribly encouraging, but given the poverty level not entirely unexpected. Havent read anything similar about VT or anywhere else in Laos - like all things, I guess you dont really know till you live in a town for a few months at least.

In regard to PP and Siem Reap I have read the same. If you own a stereo and other stuff in PP you'll need secure your place very well, but even this won't help 100%. I wonder if they already have secure housing areas for Farangs in PP.

I expect that it's the same as anywhere - money buys you security at the front door, but it hasnt stopped the more determined crooks here so I have no reason to believe that it will be any different in Cambo. At least the Cambodians have a survival situation behind their larceny - our local scum are just born bad.

Archived