Are Thais Childish?

khunsanuk

I wonder how Teddy's philosophy handled wildlife, particularly large, pissed off bears and elk ? I'd like to see him swimming the Mary River in NT - not particularly 'icy', but a notorious resting place for several American tourists and unfortunate Aboriginal children. In one case, a woman from the US ignored her tour guides, leapt from the boat to 'cool off' and was promptly taken by a 12m saltwater croc - either incredibly stupid or a needlessly elaborate suicide.

HC3x0.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully, four years of schooling in the U.S. has diminished my 3 step children's thai way of thinking. Its probably too late for the 18 year old step son. He never has comprehended that doing homework on time and studying for tests might be a good thing. He does think that, since he has turned 18, he can do anything he wants. To a certain extent, he is right. In U.S. public schools, once a student turns 18, he or she can sign themselves out of school for the day or individual classes, with no parental permission. He has no curfew and shows up when he wants to eat dinner (9 or 10 PM). If I touch him, I can be put in jail for child abuse. So, I have let him do his own thing this semester, with occasionally telling him when a test or a paper was due. The result is: he has failed 6 out of 7 courses and was fired from his job at Subway (for repeatedly not showing up for his shift on time). Fortunately, I only have to put up with it for 3 more weeks. I've told him that, if he wants to go back to the same school (and, hopefully, graduate, as he could have done if he passed all of his courses this semester), he will have to do it from one or more of his friends house(s). If he doesn't leave peacefully, I will call the police to have his ass kicked out. Hopefully, he will learn that his actions have repercussions and adjust his behavior, particularly at school and in the work force. I'm pretty sure that, if he doesn't already, he will hate my guts. I can live with that. Particularly since he has committed to joining the Army once he graduates. Hopefully, if he survives the military way of life, he will be more of an adult.

Good on you! but that is coming from another frang that refuses to put up with this type of crap, Thai or non-Thai, my house is not a hotel! my house, my rules...there's the door if you don't like it!!

I questioned a Thai once about such behavior and if a Thai would "disown" someone in the family...never! once a family member, always a family member, just ignore the behavior, TIT.

Will be interesting if he goes into the military. I would put $$$ that he doesn't :dunno:

And they have no concept of punctuality. Ask a Thai to meet up at 7pm and you could be waiting a long time....

And yet Thais turn up to factories, presumably on-time, every morning and work long shifts. They also front up on construction sites and work 12 hour days in the blistering tropical sun, just as they do in rice-fields from dawn to God-knows-when. Every TG flight I've ever been on has departed within a few minutes of the scheduled departure time, and Emporium opens at 10am each day.

When it's in their interests, Thais are as punctual as any group of people I know of - ok, excluding the Japanese, Swiss and Germans .....

Particularly since he has committed to joining the Army once he graduates. Hopefully, if he survives the military way of life, he will be more of an adult.

The Army has toned down its discipline a lot (no longer can a drill sergeant beat the crap out of you). But he sounds like a perfect candidate for some special attention. The one thing you do not want to do is attract special attention in your Basic Combat Training. ;)

Hi,

"And yet Thais turn up to factories, presumably on-time, every morning and work long shifts."

And quit without any prior notice by just not showing up one day.

Sanuk!

I just saw and interesting docco on Japanese development in Laos and the comments of two factory owners were enlightening. One, an obvious stickler for rules and punctuality, was bemoaning that he lost about 40% of his work force annually, with no notice of quitting. The other who had more workers than he could handle, was at ease with what he termed the Lao "leisurely pace of work", and noted that with quiet encouragement, production levels were slowly rising.

I know Laos is not Thailand but the similarity between the Lao and the Isaan peoples is well known.

I know Laos is not Thailand but the similarity between the Lao and the Isaan peoples is well known.

I've met several "Thais" who admitted to me that they were actually born on the Laos side of the river. Their families had had relatvies on the Thai side register them as their children. Then when they wanted to live in Thailand, they just crossed the river and applied for their Thai national ID card.

Archived