When Will You Call Thailand Your Home?

up2you2

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Never understood why the Thai gov is making it so hard for foreigners to work here. You'd think they'd welcome skilled labour or people interested in setting up companies, but no, they do their best to make life as hard as possible for them.

Sanuk!

Unwittingly the authorities are making sure that only strong expats can survive and stay in LOS. Anyone who isn't agile enough to jump backwards through all thos hoops will find himself outside looking in.

Riight...

... Jumps in...

I have PR. For better or worse, this is home.

I agree with Kong and KS, you will never fully integrate, nor will you be fully accepted as 'one of us'.

Yes, I still need a WP to work, I still need to go to immigration for a re-entry permit, BUT the visa is not tied to the WP. It is tied to the PR*. So I won't be kicked out on the basis of losing my job. Also, because both my kids are Thai nationals, I can stay on because I will be 'supporting' them (though the case may change once I need a walking stick to get around - hopefully they'll be supporting me).

*Note to Flash - the PR is permanent - so there is no 90 day reporting or anything of the sort. So as long as I do not leave the country they'll leave me alone.

As to the 'never invest more than you're prepared to lose', the kids'll get the house anyway so I'm not bothered. Can't take it with me.

Cheers

VK

yup PR is good as long as one remain in the country only!!

trying to go out without a re-entry permit will simply loose the PR for good :)

obviously it may only take like 3 years to re-obtain the PR (as opposed to say 6 years to forever initially) if willing to apply again & paying the 100k or so associated fee along with all the ass kissing & hop jumping etc :p

even if applying & getting the re-entry permit I understand it will only remain valid for 1 year max thus fairly limited for those with dual residence or moving around a lot...

I had the Singapore PR which is easy & cheap to get, but re-entry permits are limited to 5 years & thus I no longer have it :)

Home sweet home (wherever it may be sweeter) ~

For sure no where is perfect & ones country of birth is just that - a place our parents happened to be when I was born...

Vintage Kwai

Thanks for your input, I knew you had PR but not my place to mention it here until you brought it up.

I am seriously considering adopting my wifes younger brother, well Step Brother actually same mother differant father, the wife is an old cow 45 this year where as her baby bro is only just turned 17, this would offer more creedance to "Supporting Family" as far as a Non-Imm O is concerned, we have looked into the legalities of such an agreement and it is acceptable, but at the end of the day the choice is his.

He is a great kid, his brother is 32 suffers from Autism and also has a heart condition, he looks out for him 24/7 and will allow no one to take the piss out of his brother, I have seen him react and I would not like to be on the receiving end of his temper if he ever lost it, He is a big kid, I stand at 183 (6 Foot) and he towers above me and his bulk is made up of muscle, most people who don't know him think he is early 30's not some 17 year old kid.

If he can make his mind up what he wants in life I a have promised my wife I will sponsor him thru Uni, a Thai one not wasting my money on an International Uni, this decision has nothing to do if he accepts adoption or not, he is now family.

Glad that you concur with my and others opinions that we can never fully inergrate or be fully accepted into Thai Society, even though you Hold PR you suffer the same experiences as non PR Expats, I was stating an opinion and you have confirmed my opinion from personal experience.

Cheers

Kong

Archived