What Happens Politically In Siam? November - December 2013

Nasiadai

@Mekong whatever :p

Well ms Ee Ngo was on television tonight and said that ISA is now extended to all of Bangkok + Nonthaburi and 1 district each in Samut Prakan and Pathum Thani. She also said she would start enforcing the ISA, but without violence (which would be impossible imho).

Suthep is gambling his whole life on ousting the Shinawatra's. He is going for a make all or break all. So he is willing to go all out. And he wants to do it quickly because of the birthday on December 5th.

An unknown factor is the reds. They do not seem to be able to muster enough people. Now is it because the red supporters are also pissed with Thaksin. Has the money stopped or what is the reason that even in Pathum Thani and Samut Prakan, red strongholds, they cannot muster any support at all. I have also read "rumors" that many people that were bussed in from Isaan ended up joining Suthep!!! after they got a free ride to Bangkok.

So all of this added together it could get very wild in the coming few days. Winner takes all this time. I have a feeling there will be no mercy by the winners for the loosers this time around. The DSI (Thaksins puppet Tarit) is piling charge upon charge on Suthep and the Democrats, to wipe them out forever.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Pom Michael, a curfew would get the Bangkok citizens truly pissed off I feel. So she would not dare go that far. Many people in my condo whom traditionally support the reds are now watching Bluesky tv on their Pads downstairs at the wifi area .... I was truly amazed with that.

Meanwhile Ratchaprasong News on Facebook and twitter (run by one of Yinglucks security advisors: Sean Boonpracong) reporting that the reds will go to Yinglucks house tomorrow to protect here from the Democrats whom said they would be there at 14.00 pm

#Thailand Oh.Oh! Pathumthani Reds announces they will move to Yingluck House to defend her when Yellow country doctors come to visit her house tomorrow at 2:00 pm

" ... Most of all I am advocating for some calculated restraint on both sides. Although I do, of course, despise Suthep to his very core, I understand his motives for opposing the Amnesty Bill, however misplaced they be. But, and this is my main point, his campaign to overthrow government in the wake of the bill’s unambiguous demise, is not only deleterious to Thailand on a practical level — in other words, it disrupts the ordinary running of government — but it also poisons the political culture in Thailand by making it seem acceptable to call for an outright seizure of power whenever some disgruntled politician feels like it. The last thing Thailand needs, given the tribulations of recent years, is another protracted period of instability. Mass movements for regime change from either side will not solve Thailand’s woes at any rate, but they will most certainly escalate an already fragile and ominous political stalemate. In any case, the fact remains that Yingluck is still the leader of a democratically elected government, chosen by a majority of the Thai people to administer the state on behalf of all. She may now be a scorned Prime Minister and a despicable traitor, but she still has two more years left in office before the next election, during which time the Red Shirts will need to seriously distance themselves from Pheu Thai and begin to cultivate a new, truly proletarian political force, independent of the elite hierarchy that has long monopolised the Pheua Thai agenda, particularly Thaksin."

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2013/11/20/uprooting-the-thaksin-regime/

Press Alliance concerned at attacks on media

The Southeast Asian Press Alliance (Seapa) on Tuesday expressed deep concern over incidents at the protests on Monday, which saw media being attacked for their role in reporting unfolding incidents in Thailand.

In its statement issued today, Seapa said simultaneous rallies were held in front of five stateowned TV stations protesting the alleged unfair coverage by the media of demonstrations, which have intensified since the beginning of November.

Nick Nostitiz, a German freelance photojournalist, was attacked by protesters after being singled out in a crowd by the protest leader who urged rally guards to "chase him away." He was slightly injured in the incident, and was saved from further harm after police led him away from the attackers.

"We must specifically call out the irresponsible action of protest leader Jumpol Chumsai, a former Democrat MP who recently resigned, whose pinpointing of Nostitz triggered the assault," read the statement.

"It is doubly serious that Nostitz was wearing an armband that clearly identifies him as a journalist, in keeping with measures adopted by the larger media community on how to keep safe. In a highly charged political atmosphere such as a protest, calling on protesters to 'chase' a specific person believed belonging to an opposing camp is almost a direct incitement to violence.

"Meanwhile the protests in front of TV stations can be interpreted as a direct coercion for media to report matters according to protesters' views. These are no different from pressures faced by journalists from media owners and the state to slant news in their favour."

The Alliance said it feared these incidents indicated a growing intolerance in society as tension built up among political actors, who continued to threaten not just press freedom and professionalism in the country, but also on a larger scale freedom of opinion and expression among the public.

The Alliance added that it was hoped that these two incidents did not mark a dangerous turn in the protests that endanger media freedom and freedom of expression.

"We must emphasise that such incidents are not isolated in the context of Thailand's ongoing political turmoil, having been committed by both sides of the divide since 2006 - and not just to the media.

"We fully support the statement of colleagues at the Thai Journalists Association - a Seapa member - for calling on both sides not to obstruct the work of the media, and for journalists to exercise their professed duty of keeping the public informed amidst the tense situation."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Press-Alliance-concerned-at-attacks-on-media-30220643.html

What is the general opinion of expats living in Bangkok about foreigners coming to Bangkok on holiday?

I believe the US State Dept has issued a travel advisory warning to US citizens.

Personally, I feel that the demonstrations will heat up leading to a possible military confrontation in the days or weeks to

come.

I don't understand why tourists would stay away. It is a fascinating time to be here.

I am a combat veteran of one war and have been through at least half a dozen coups here over the years. What's a little excitement now and then? It's certainly safer than Chicago, for instance. JaiRai and I went to watch the red shirts 3 years ago. No problem.

p.s. The US State Department issues warnings when someone gets a hang nail.

Archived